Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH Question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question CH Question?

All,

I just got my Taylor K-2006 test kit in about a week or so ago and got around to testing my CH. I did the test and was 150 ppm. In looking at the recommended levels in pool school it says my plaster pool should be 250-350. When searching on the internet about the levels it says 150-400. Why is there such a difference and what will happen if my level stays at 150? How can I increase my CH (I know you can add calcium chloride, but where to buy and how to use)?

Thanks in advance!
    23k IG gunite pool, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Pentair Quad 80 DE filter, Polaris Cleaner, Taylor Testing Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CH Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggiehunter34 View Post
    All,

I just got my Taylor K-2006 test kit in about a week or so ago and got around to testing my CH. I did the test and was 150 ppm. In looking at the recommended levels in pool school it says my plaster pool should be 250-350. When searching on the internet about the levels it says 150-400. Why is there such a difference and what will happen if my level stays at 150? How can I increase my CH (I know you can add calcium chloride, but where to buy and how to use)?

Thanks in advance!
    Per Pool School:

"Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool."

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals

If you have low calcium levels the calcium in your plaster will leech out into the water and shorten the life of your plaster.

As far as which recommended level to follow, you have to decide if you want to follow TFPC guidelines, or some random internet info. I recommend you follow the guidelines here as they are proven to work in the thousands of TFP members pools.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dom is correct. Low CH in a plaster pool can lead to etching. Etching is plaster dissolving CH into the water and leaving a rough, pitted plaster surface.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I am going to be adding some calcium chloride I picked up from the pool store today. I know that pool school recommends adding it to the deep end of the pool so I will be doing that, but is there a recommended way of doing it? Add into a bucket to dissolve or pour directly into pool and brush? Also, pool math says I need about 21lbs to get from 150-250. I may shoot for 300 instead, but is there a max dosage I can do within a certain amount of time? Thanks in advance again.
    23k IG gunite pool, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Pentair Quad 80 DE filter, Polaris Cleaner, Taylor Testing Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'd follow the instructions on the container. There isn't anything wrong with adding that extra step of trying to dissolve it first in a bucket but it usually isn't necessary. I did my borax addition that way. I was lazy and added a box to a five gallon pail and put a small pump in there to mix it. After a few minutes I'd dump it into the pools deep end in front of the return. I think it was more trouble than it was worth and next time I'll just dump it in and brush. Either way I'd be brushing it after the addition.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I believe I read somewhere that calcium chloride will generate heat when added to water so if you do use a bucket don't put a bunch in at one time. When I added mine I just broadcast it by hand into the deep end then brushed right after worked just fine. I would aim for just under whatever your final goal is that way if you are off on the pool volume by a bit you won't over shoot.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

I added a few cups to a 1 gallon bucket and it got VERY warm fast.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.