Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ammonia question - is there an acceptable level, or should my goal be 0ppm?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ammonia question - is there an acceptable level, or should my goal be 0ppm?

Greetings,

Had a bout of algae after many F90+ days. Algae started in the shallow end;I was running filteration at night. Pool is in direct sunlight for at least 10 hours per day this time of year. Have since changed the pump running time to during the day. (For the past week, it is on 24/7.) Have maintained shock level for one week. CCs level have been zero for past 3 days; highest reading this past week was 0.6. CYA is running btw 30 - 35. Had one test were CYA was zero, also had a musty pool odor.

My ammonia tests, 3 times since Friday, consistently show .25ppm.

For those that like the remaining data, no current pH level since the FC above 10. (Typically my pH runs high and I add muriatic acid. I've been running about 7.8 - 8.0 this season with a goal of lowering it to 7.5.) TA is 80 and CH is 300 - 310. I added 2# of CYA since 7/31 with a goal of not losing all chlorine during the day while fighting algae. I use liquid chorine 12.5%, and have just this weekend added 3" pucks in an effort to maintain shock levels during bright and hot sunny days and to also to add some CYA. Water is sparkling clear. You need to look twice to see if the water is actually there. As I know the pool, I detect a slight musty odor when I reach in to get water sample.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, haranges gladly accepted. My basic question is the ammonia level. Should my goal be zero, or am I wasting chlorine?

Bill
    23,500 gallon IG plaster with pebbles, Pentair FLT FNS 60 DE (160 GPM flow rate), Pentair Model 320 in-line Chlorinator, Jandy Plus HP 1.5 HP pump replaced with AO Centurian 1.5 switchless motor; Aquacal Heatwave heat pump. Method: since 2012 transitioned from "pool-stored" to TFP! Get your test kits here: TFTestkits.net correct link for pool calculator: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ammonia question - is there an acceptable level, or should my goal be 0ppm?

Ammonia will rapidly react and oxidize with FC so as long as your FC is holding and not disappearing quickly it should eliminate the Ammonia in short order.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Isaac-1 for the quick response.
    So, since it's been four days and 3 tests of .25ppm, any additional thoughts? The FC is holding, in fact overnight it went up by 1, which I'm attributing to the pucks.
    Bill
    23,500 gallon IG plaster with pebbles, Pentair FLT FNS 60 DE (160 GPM flow rate), Pentair Model 320 in-line Chlorinator, Jandy Plus HP 1.5 HP pump replaced with AO Centurian 1.5 switchless motor; Aquacal Heatwave heat pump. Method: since 2012 transitioned from "pool-stored" to TFP! Get your test kits here: TFTestkits.net correct link for pool calculator: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Ammonia is transient. Chlorine kills it. Disregard the .25.

I don't understand why you are testing for it, anyway. It is not part of the TFP parameters.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the response.

...because in one CYA test, my result was zero and I detected an odor from the pool. Perhaps I should have re-tested the CYA before going and purchasing the ammonia test kit, but the combination of the two led me to want to eliminate ammonia, or determine it, as an issue.

Thanks again.