Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA sock help

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA sock help

As an alternative to "hold the hanging sock in front of return jet" can I fill the sock then walk around the pool squeezing the sock until all powdered sediments have dispersed from the sock into pool water? i haven't yet found a way or technique as above to secure the sock to the return jet.
    Blue haven kidney style 16,000 gal gunnite including Spa, test Kit TF - 100
    Built 2000 deep end 7.5 feet, 2 steps at shallow end
    Original SWG then convert to chlorine
    Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter (4)
    Blue Haven Teledyne Laars Platinum II heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just had new pool start up

63john that's a thread hijack, but no, don't sprinkle the powder. Tie a sturdy string around top of sock with a few feet of extra string. Tie it to the end of a 4b2 (2x4) and lay the 4b2 (2x4) on the deck sticking out over the water. You don't want to tie it to the return. The idea is so it hangs in the water a few inches away from the side of the pool, in front of the return. Then squeeze it every once in a while to help it dissolve.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA sock help

Not sure if it's correct or not, but I put it in a sock and put it in my skimmer. I squeeze it once in while and usually within a day it's dissolved.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

4. Back To Top    #4

Skimmer in a sock is ok too.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I just tied the sock with a small rope running to the handle on a used bleach bottle half filled with water. Set the bleach bottle above one of the skimmers and let the sock hang. The return jet pushes the sock away from the side of the pool so its not resting on anything. Give it some squeezing every once in a while to release all the dissolved CYA.
    18k gal IG Vinyl, 1hp Challenger Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, TF100

6. Back To Top    #6

Skimmer is easy; just backwash the filter before you do it so you don't have to backwash the filter right after adding the CYA
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

After my first attempt of adding CYA with a sock hanging in front of a return was a bit of a pain and took longer than I expected, I have moved to the putting it in a knee high stocking with a knot and throwing it in the skimmer basket. Way more water flow there and it's dissolved within 12 hours. Just need to make sure you keep the pump running.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x