Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended TA level before adding Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended TA level before adding Borates

I'm getting ready to add borates. Got my 55 lb bucket of boric acid on order from Duda Diesel.

Question on recommended TA level, understand it's best to adjust before you add borates as it's difficult to do afterward. My TA is 80. I've been seeing my pH drift upwards since I converted fully to bleach from trichlor a couple of months ago, so been adding quite a bit more MA than I was, probably a gallon every 1-2 weeks, before that on trichlor it was rock solid stable. TA is down from about 110 a couple of months ago.

Wondering if I need to lower my TA further prior to adding borates, or is 80 ok?
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended TA level before adding Borates

Your TA is good once you notice that your PH is holding steady for about a week (I did the Borates once it got to 2 cups of MA per week).
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Rather than thinking about a specific number, stability is the key. If you are constantly adding MA you are not stable. Lowering the TA a little more may help. My pool likes the TA around 60.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Recommended TA level before adding Borates

You should try to lower your TA to minimize pH rise as much as you find can reasonably be achieved. So try dropping your TA to 60ppm and see what that does for you.

It is all limited by your fill water TA in some sense. My fill water TA is about 100ppm and so both pH and TA have an upward driving force. I can reasonably hold my TA between 60-70ppm and that had me adding about 12oz of MA every 14 days or so to keep the pH between 7.6-7.8. That is with 50ppm borates in my water.

So play with the TA a bit to see what is "reasonable" for your pool. Previously, the acidic trichlor pucks you were using was the thing keeping your TA down and your pH stable. But I think you'd agree that adding acid is a much better trade off than having to dump water to keep CYA under control.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys - will look to lower TA to around 60 and see if that holds.
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!