Muriatic acid question...

Jul 28, 2016
New Hampshire
Our PH seems to be hanging right at 7.8, not descending or climbing. I've obtained some muriatic acid in the event the PH should rise...I'm concerned that although the bottle lists many uses on the side panel, including pool PH control, it also says DO NOT mix with bleach. I guess I'm just hesitant to swim with hydrochloric acid and quite possibly looking for reassurance from y'all who have said this is what works. Everything y'all have said has worked thus far though so why do I question?

Using the pool math calcualtor I did do the math to determine that in my 17,100 gal pool, adding 20oz of MA equals .000095% of 17,100 gal.

Just wait 1/2hr between adding the acid, and the chlorine so the 1st one has had the chance to completely disperse throughout the pool before adding the next.

My pool has had about 5 gallons of MA added to it so far this summer,(I added Borates) and is GREAT to swim in!

I had a friend over with his kids. His wife and he kept commenting on the fact that they couldn't smell any chlorine, and that the pool felt GREAT to the skin, and eyes. I informed them that the pool gets about 2/3 of a gallon of chlorine per day, (via the stenner pump attached to a buried 55gal barrel), and that it has 14 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax, as well as about 5 gallons of muratic acid.

They couldn't believe that the only time I go to the pool store is for hoses, fittings, and of course pool toys. But NEVER for chemicals (Thanks to TFP!) :)

Our PH seems to be hanging right at 7.8, not descending or climbing. I've obtained some muriatic acid in the event the PH should rise...I'm concerned that although the bottle lists many uses on the side panel, including pool PH control, it also says DO NOT mix with bleach. I guess I'm just hesitant to swim with hydrochloric acid and quite possibly looking for reassurance from y'all who have said this is what works. Everything y'all have said has worked thus far though so why do I question?

Using the pool math calcualtor I did do the math to determine that in my 17,100 gal pool, adding 20oz of MA equals .000095% of 17,100 gal.

well if makes you any happier- your stomach acid has much higher concentration than that and it's the same acid so while you hesitant to swim with it it has already found its way in :)

They're both currently in the garage on opposite sides. Thanks for all the reassurance y'all :)

Q: does MA have a shelf life?

It stays stable far longer than you'll want to store it...or at least that's what I've picked up from around this forum. Also, get the MA out of your garage unless you want everything to rust. Keep it outdoors, somehow.

It stays stable far longer than you'll want to store it...or at least that's what I've picked up from around this forum. Also, get the MA out of your garage unless you want everything to rust. Keep it outdoors, somehow.

true about shelf life, it's non issue. Its container needs to be air tight or everything will rust around it. I keep mine in the garage but I always make sure it has no way to escape its bottle.

Copy.

Now...how do I go about measurement and distribution? I was always under the impression that hydrochloric acid (MA) essentially chemically burns and dissolves near anything on contact. I can't imagine it's a simple matter of measuring out in the common "baking style" measuring cup.

I just estimate and pour directly into the pool, usually about a quart at a time. Some folks do use a measuring cup or diluted it into a 5 gal bucket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.