Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Muriatic acid question...

  1. Back To Top    #1
    93specv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    21

    Muriatic acid question...

    Our PH seems to be hanging right at 7.8, not descending or climbing. I've obtained some muriatic acid in the event the PH should rise...I'm concerned that although the bottle lists many uses on the side panel, including pool PH control, it also says DO NOT mix with bleach. I guess I'm just hesitant to swim with hydrochloric acid and quite possibly looking for reassurance from y'all who have said this is what works. Everything y'all have said has worked thus far though so why do I question?

    Using the pool math calcualtor I did do the math to determine that in my 17,100 gal pool, adding 20oz of MA equals .000095% of 17,100 gal.
    27' round AG 17,100 gal well water former baquicil sucker gone chlorine conversion. Hayward pump/sand filter. Crystal clear and clean thanks to TFP! Thanks y'all :-)

  2. Back To Top    #2

    RonsPlc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Gaylesville, AL
    Posts
    360

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Just wait 1/2hr between adding the acid, and the chlorine so the 1st one has had the chance to completely disperse throughout the pool before adding the next.

    My pool has had about 5 gallons of MA added to it so far this summer,(I added Borates) and is GREAT to swim in!

    I had a friend over with his kids. His wife and he kept commenting on the fact that they couldn't smell any chlorine, and that the pool felt GREAT to the skin, and eyes. I informed them that the pool gets about 2/3 of a gallon of chlorine per day, (via the stenner pump attached to a buried 55gal barrel), and that it has 14 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax, as well as about 5 gallons of muratic acid.

    They couldn't believe that the only time I go to the pool store is for hoses, fittings, and of course pool toys. But NEVER for chemicals (Thanks to TFP!)
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,998

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    We love swimming in acid and bleach! You think we're crazy? Swimming in a TFPC pool will be the best swimming ever!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Quote Originally Posted by 93specv View Post
    Our PH seems to be hanging right at 7.8, not descending or climbing. I've obtained some muriatic acid in the event the PH should rise...I'm concerned that although the bottle lists many uses on the side panel, including pool PH control, it also says DO NOT mix with bleach. I guess I'm just hesitant to swim with hydrochloric acid and quite possibly looking for reassurance from y'all who have said this is what works. Everything y'all have said has worked thus far though so why do I question?

    Using the pool math calcualtor I did do the math to determine that in my 17,100 gal pool, adding 20oz of MA equals .000095% of 17,100 gal.
    well if makes you any happier- your stomach acid has much higher concentration than that and it's the same acid so while you hesitant to swim with it it has already found its way in
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northern IL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    The caution is more about an instantaneous combination. Be sure to store your MA away from where you store your chlorine.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    93specv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    21

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    The caution is more about an instantaneous combination. Be sure to store your MA away from where you store your chlorine.
    They're both currently in the garage on opposite sides. Thanks for all the reassurance y'all

    Q: does MA have a shelf life?
    27' round AG 17,100 gal well water former baquicil sucker gone chlorine conversion. Hayward pump/sand filter. Crystal clear and clean thanks to TFP! Thanks y'all :-)

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Troy IL
    Posts
    465

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Quote Originally Posted by 93specv View Post
    They're both currently in the garage on opposite sides. Thanks for all the reassurance y'all

    Q: does MA have a shelf life?
    It stays stable far longer than you'll want to store it...or at least that's what I've picked up from around this forum. Also, get the MA out of your garage unless you want everything to rust. Keep it outdoors, somehow.

    17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    It stays stable far longer than you'll want to store it...or at least that's what I've picked up from around this forum. Also, get the MA out of your garage unless you want everything to rust. Keep it outdoors, somehow.
    true about shelf life, it's non issue. Its container needs to be air tight or everything will rust around it. I keep mine in the garage but I always make sure it has no way to escape its bottle.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

  9. Back To Top    #9
    93specv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    21

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Copy.

    Now...how do I go about measurement and distribution? I was always under the impression that hydrochloric acid (MA) essentially chemically burns and dissolves near anything on contact. I can't imagine it's a simple matter of measuring out in the common "baking style" measuring cup.
    27' round AG 17,100 gal well water former baquicil sucker gone chlorine conversion. Hayward pump/sand filter. Crystal clear and clean thanks to TFP! Thanks y'all :-)

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,998

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    I just estimate and pour directly into the pool, usually about a quart at a time. Some folks do use a measuring cup or diluted it into a 5 gal bucket.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  11. Back To Top    #11
    93specv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    21

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    That was my idea, to just guesstimate and pour.

    Thanks everyone for your experience and selfless guidance!
    27' round AG 17,100 gal well water former baquicil sucker gone chlorine conversion. Hayward pump/sand filter. Crystal clear and clean thanks to TFP! Thanks y'all :-)

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Fort Mill, SC
    Posts
    179

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    So does MA need to be stored away from Trichlor? Why?
    20K gallon vinyl inground pool, Hayward Pro Series sand filter, 1 HP pump, Taylor K-2006

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    523

    Re: Muriatic acid question...

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I just estimate and pour directly into the pool, usually about a quart at a time. Some folks do use a measuring cup or diluted it into a 5 gal bucket.
    amateurs
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •