Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light not secure in niche?

1. Back To Top    #1

Light not secure in niche?

Hi All,
    i have a Hayward 500W light in my recently completed pool. I was checking the diameter of the light yesterday to order a colored cover for it. I noticed that the light is not completely secure in the housing. There's a screw on top that holds it in place but I can wiggle the light a little with my hand underwater.
    is this normal? Or should it be completely secure?
    Thanks.

G
    17x31 Freeform IG Gunite. Tanning shelf with 2 bubblers. Raised beam with 32" scupper. 3.5'-6'. 13.5K Gallons.
    In process, started June 2016.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light not secure in niche?

It should be secure. Depending on the fixture it can move a bit but it should feel secure
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

There's a tab at bottom of light that needs to be secured in niche

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it secure at the bottom? There is a little lip thingy that holds the light in place at the bottom. If that's not seated correctly, then the housing will shift.

5. Back To Top    #5

So, it turns out the screw on top was not tightened completely. It was in the notch at the bottom, but was sliding around a bit because it was loose on top. I tightened the top screw and its secure now.
    i assume the niche is supposed to be full of water as well? There was a bunch of coiled wire in the niche behind the light.

G
    17x31 Freeform IG Gunite. Tanning shelf with 2 bubblers. Raised beam with 32" scupper. 3.5'-6'. 13.5K Gallons.
    In process, started June 2016.

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay great! When I tighten my light, I keep my light screw only hand-tightened so I can always easily unscrew it both in the pool and deckside.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by goober71 View Post
    So, it turns out the screw on top was not tightened completely. It was in the notch at the bottom, but was sliding around a bit because it was loose on top. I tightened the top screw and its secure now.
    i assume the niche is supposed to be full of water as well? There was a bunch of coiled wire in the niche behind the light.

G
    All sounds good. We took our lights out (I think the same kind) recently due to algae and a light bulb needing to be replaced. They were a bear to get back in. Getting that bottom part seated properly so you can properly seat the screw at 12 o'clock can be a challenge as the fixture wants to float (as it should). Yes to water behind the entire fixture but the fixture itself should be sealed.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

It sounds fine. The retaining ring tab fits into the slot on the bottom and is secured by the screw on the top. The fixture is held in by the ring. The cord wraps around the fixture. The niche should be full of water. The lightbulb is in the waterproof fixture.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall