Brand new build but Pump not working.

Jun 22, 2016
St charles
Finally got everything hooked up and tried to prime pump but it won't. I have pool about half filled and wanted to make sure it was all working (plumbing) before backfill and concrete. I put the hose in the basket of pump and it keeps filling up pipe to main drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cd9a78244de349d55774bebacbdfdde5.jpg

Try again

K,

Thanks for the pics.. So, since your pool is only half full, I assume you have the valves set to pull water from the main drain only. Water poured into the pump basket will quickly flow backward into the pool through the main drain as the water level is way below the equipment pad. I think they call it gravity... ;)

I recommend you fill the water up to allow water to enter from the skimmers also and see if that makes it easier to prime.

But, generally, when a pump will not prime it is because of an air leak at the pump basket lid or, in your case, at the PVC union right in front of the pump. Suggest inspect the O-ring in the union and make sure it has plenty of "pool lube". Then do the same for the gasket on the pump basket lid. I've had this same pump and the pump lid gasket can get crushed out of shape pretty easy.

After your inspection, turn the pump on while at the same time running a garden hose (on low) over the union and pump lid. If they are leaking air the water from the garden hose will fill the leaking area and cause the pump to prime.

Give that a shot and let us know what happens.

If the pump motor is running, I doubt that the pump itself is bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It looks like the backwash discharge will flush the pump off the pad. A hose or pipe might be advised to direct the water elsewhere....
A check valve between the pump and the intakes might also be an assist.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
K,

Thanks for the pics.. So, since your pool is only half full, I assume you have the valves set to pull water from the main drain only. Water poured into the pump basket will quickly flow backward into the pool through the main drain as the water level is way below the equipment pad. I think they call it gravity... ;)

I recommend you fill the water up to allow water to enter from the skimmers also and see if that makes it easier to prime.

But, generally, when a pump will not prime it is because of an air leak at the pump basket lid or, in your case, at the PVC union right in front of the pump. Suggest inspect the O-ring in the union and make sure it has plenty of "pool lube". Then do the same for the gasket on the pump basket lid. I've had this same pump and the pump lid gasket can get crushed out of shape pretty easy.

After your inspection, turn the pump on while at the same time running a garden hose (on low) over the union and pump lid. If they are leaking air the water from the garden hose will fill the leaking area and cause the pump to prime.

Give that a shot and let us know what happens.

If the pump motor is running, I doubt that the pump itself is bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim R. Ur the best. Your comment made me laugh and go "ahhhhh that makes sense". What is pool lube though

K,

Leslie's calls it "Pool & Spa Lube". Looks kind-of like Vaseline, (do not use Vaseline) and it is used on all O-Rings and gaskets to prevent leaks. Many other brands. If you are not using it, that could be the cause of your priming issue.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.