Newbie: SWG and pump problems

josh01

Aug 8, 2016
Louisiana
Hey all,

I'm very new to owning a pool (bought house with pool), but have been reading a lot on this site which helped me out tremendously. Run into some troubles this week that I don't know how to fix.

Some info about the pool: 35,000 gallons, SWG pool pilot DIG-220, Tagelus sand filter, Pentair pool pump, 2 skimmers and main drain.

Long story short: saw some cracks on the skimmer inlets that I wanted to fix. Was stupid enough to 'waste' water so low that the pump didn't come back on. After research on this site I figured that air came into the pipes and that I had to prime the pump. After correcting the water level, I tried to prime the pump, but it shut off after 5 seconds without ever priming. Did this several times with same result. After some more research and trials I figured that now the capacitor might have given up (humming sound for 5 seconds with nothing else happening). Shut off breaker to pool pump/pilot to be safe, but when I switched it back on, the pool pilot didn't come on anymore. Weird thing is that the pool light comes on. I'm not good with electricity or (apparently) pools so any help is welcome. Does it indeed sounds like my capacitor is the pump problem? Why does the pool pilot not come on anymore?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! The problem with the pump and priming it is that it shuts off by itself after like 5 seconds of humming noise. I guess it is an automatic shut off to prevent damage to the pump, but I'm not very sure what is going on and why.

Update: after many hours I finally solved my issues. Played some more around with the circuit breaker when suddenly the pool pilot came on. It shut off after 20 seconds or so, but after putting the breaker on and off several more times the pool system stayed on. No idea what is going on here (I tested the breaker electronically and it was good), but main thing was that pool pilot worked again.
Now I tried to prime the pump again. Humming sound and auto shut off after like 5 seconds. Bought a new accelerator and after several tries I managed to prime the pump. Pool is running again as it should, so now I can focus again on the quality of my water. Which is much more fun than mechanical problems. I promise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.