Waterproofing a new pool

H2o-Boy

Gold Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Spring Texas
Has anyone had any experience with water proofing their new gunite pool prior to plaster? Or if anyone is a builder and has knowledge of it, or if anyone has been pitched by a builder that has knowledge. I unexpectedly had additional time waiting for plaster and have started researching doing a waterproofing of the entire pool. Thoughts?

I had some weeping that was keeping my PB from applying the plaster. He said that they have a product that he could spray on the gunite that would stop any water penetration.

He put on four coats before he gave up.. It did nothing. Sorry, but I'm not sure what it was. If it was needed or added any benefit, I'm sure every pool builder out there would be pushing it.

As borjis says.. "That is what the plaster is for.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We typically use waterproofing for specialty jobs. An example would be a roof top pool of pool partially above grade. Depending on the builder often times weir walls/negative edge walls are also waterproofed. Waterproofing will not hurt so long as the proper type is used. Depending on the manufacturer they have products for positive side and negative side pressure and some will work in both cases. Pool plaster is not a waterproofer, I am of the opinion that waterproofing used properly is of great benefit.

We typically use waterproofing for specialty jobs. An example would be a roof top pool of pool partially above grade. Depending on the builder often times weir walls/negative edge walls are also waterproofed. Waterproofing will not hurt so long as the proper type is used. Depending on the manufacturer they have products for positive side and negative side pressure and some will work in both cases. Pool plaster is not a waterproofer, I am of the opinion that waterproofing used properly is of great benefit.

I agree with the above completely. I have raised walls and a negative edge pool. I did my own research and found that negative edge pools can develop problems with the walls being wet and then drying. I had my entire gunite shell waterproofed.

This is one of the articles I looked at:

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction - AQUA Magazine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.