Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterproofing a new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Waterproofing a new pool

Has anyone had any experience with water proofing their new gunite pool prior to plaster? Or if anyone is a builder and has knowledge of it, or if anyone has been pitched by a builder that has knowledge. I unexpectedly had additional time waiting for plaster and have started researching doing a waterproofing of the entire pool. Thoughts?
    Started 7-12-16 - O/B approx 20k gal pool, 35x25 geometric pool, wetedge primera stone, 360 zero edge raised hot tub, split face weeping wall with fire bowls!! Undecided on final equipment. My build here Spring TX - O/B - Looking for my deep blue horizon!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterproofing a new pool

With what? The plaster does that.

Whatever you do, talk to your builder first, or you could void the warranty before it even begins.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I had some weeping that was keeping my PB from applying the plaster. He said that they have a product that he could spray on the gunite that would stop any water penetration.

He put on four coats before he gave up.. It did nothing. Sorry, but I'm not sure what it was. If it was needed or added any benefit, I'm sure every pool builder out there would be pushing it.

As borjis says.. "That is what the plaster is for.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

5. Back To Top    #5

I applied a waterproofing membrane behind the waterline tile after the mortar was floated out and before the thinset.
    It was recommended by Laticrete for glass tiles only. Not the whole pool.

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

We typically use waterproofing for specialty jobs. An example would be a roof top pool of pool partially above grade. Depending on the builder often times weir walls/negative edge walls are also waterproofed. Waterproofing will not hurt so long as the proper type is used. Depending on the manufacturer they have products for positive side and negative side pressure and some will work in both cases. Pool plaster is not a waterproofer, I am of the opinion that waterproofing used properly is of great benefit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegaspools View Post
    We typically use waterproofing for specialty jobs. An example would be a roof top pool of pool partially above grade. Depending on the builder often times weir walls/negative edge walls are also waterproofed. Waterproofing will not hurt so long as the proper type is used. Depending on the manufacturer they have products for positive side and negative side pressure and some will work in both cases. Pool plaster is not a waterproofer, I am of the opinion that waterproofing used properly is of great benefit.
    I agree with the above completely. I have raised walls and a negative edge pool. I did my own research and found that negative edge pools can develop problems with the walls being wet and then drying. I had my entire gunite shell waterproofed.

This is one of the articles I looked at:

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction - AQUA Magazine

8. Back To Top    #8

Fascinating. I see now where that would be very important.

Negative / infinity edge pools look amazing.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.