Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Storing pool for winter question

1. Back To Top    #1

Storing pool for winter question

i will be taking my pool down at the end of the season, because we want to move it to a different location. my question is when i take it down and store it what would be the proper way to do it? i have a pretty big deck box to store it and all the accessories in. i know i will have to drain it, let it dry out for a few days, and clean it really good. but what i was curious about is i have read that over the winter time sometimes the liners dry out and when installed the next year it leaks. i was curious if there was a way to keep the liner from drying out? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just FYI this is the deck box that i have. I am hoping that the liner and the poles will all fit in this monster. Amazon.com : Lifetime 60012 Extra Large Deck Box : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Storing pool for winter question

I would keep the liner indoors over the winter if possible. At a minimum, you want to protect the liner from heat and sunlight when it is taken down. Others with AG pools might have recommendations on how to roll or fold the liner to reduce chances of problems.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

It might be easier to leave it up for the winter and move it to the new location when you are ready to open it in the spring?
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    It might be easier to leave it up for the winter and move it to the new location when you are ready to open it in the spring?

This.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

We had the same type of situation last year. We ended up leaving it up for the winter and moving it in the spring.
    10,000 gallon 22x52 Intex Ultra Frame pool.
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter/Pump (.75hp / 2150gph / 14" 77lb of sand)

6. Back To Top    #6

i can't really leave it up for the winter because where it is now is going to be partially where it be sitting next year. i do not have a very big backyard. i am only going to be moving it about 4-5ft. it will be in the way when i go to leveling the ground.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

7. Back To Top    #7

I used to keep ours in a large deck box over the winter.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

8. Back To Top    #8

I currently leave mine up all year. Everytime I took it down I had problems the next year. If you have to take it down, then roll it up gently while it is still sunny out. The warmer the plastic the easier it will roll (More pliable), be careful. Make sure to get all the water out of the pool. Then store the pool in a deck box or something similar as suggested by Philc. Also get some help when doing this. the pools are heavy ...
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

9. Back To Top    #9

I've stored mine in the house the past two winters. I drained it, then dried it with towels. Before I rolled it up I sprinkled talcum powder all over it. I read to do that somewhere, exactly where I have no idea, but it seems to help with keeping it from sticking to itself. Once rolled up, the liner went into a huge tote and was hauled into the basement. Poles went between the studs in the shed. SWG and pump went into a tote in the basement.

I'm not sure if the powder really helps, but..... right out of the box the pool had a couple on pinholes (easily patched). The next two times setting up- no pins holes at all. How much is the powder, how much is being stored inside the house in a more climate controlled environment I don't know.
    Suzy
    Intex Metal Frame Pool - 15' x 48" - 4440 gallons, with the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 1500 gph
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System - 7000 gallons. TF-100 test kit
    Installed June 2014 - complete newbie to pool ownership