Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing water quickly when the pump is running

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Losing water quickly when the pump is running

Hello All!

First post - long time pool keeper but first time with a DE Filter and in a new house so trying to get a handle on things

First few days the pool/pump seemed fine but today my auto fill just kept running, the pump is losing prime, there is water in the sight glass which doesn't seem right. I suspect it's pumping down the drain line? and I need a new multi-port valve?

Thanks!

Craig

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing water quickly when the pump is running

Hi Craig, Welcome to TFP,

If it is not obvious where the leak is, then what you say makes sense to me. Assuming it is bad, you can repair most multi-port valves by just replacing the spider gasket. Sold at most pool stores.

Pretty easy to open and check. The spider gasket is in the bottom of the valve and you can see where it divides valve into different sections. It should not be loose or broken.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim! you nailed it. Opened it up and sure enough the gasket was torn into the drain section. Previous owner must have lost an insane amount of water!

-c

4. Back To Top    #4

Craig,

Perfect!!! Glad I could help and thanks for the feedback.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.