What's eating all the chlorine I put in?!

Aug 1, 2016
Asheville, NC
I wrote last week about maintaining our pool myself with all your help, but hadn't received our test kit yet.

I just received a missing component of the TFTestkit I ordered and promptly tested our pool.

FC 0.5
CC 1
TA 150
pH 7.8
CYA 70
Borate 0
CH 300

For the past week, I've been adding a gallon of chlorine/ day, but it's obviously not enough.

The calculator says to add 38 oz of muriatic acid. The previous owners left some in our basement, which is now at least 4 years old. There's also some Baquacil (pH decreaser). Are these chemicals still good to use?

Besides the muriatic acid, what else I should do?

Thanks!

I wrote last week about maintaining our pool myself with all your help, but hadn't received our test kit yet.

I just received a missing component of the TFTestkit I ordered and promptly tested our pool.

FC 0.5
CC 1
TA 150
pH 7.8
CYA 70
Borate 0
CH 300

For the past week, I've been adding a gallon of chlorine/ day, but it's obviously not enough.

The calculator says to add 38 oz of muriatic acid. The previous owners left some in our basement, which is now at least 4 years old. There's also some Baquacil (pH decreaser). Are these chemicals still good to use?

Besides the muriatic acid, what else I should do?

Thanks!

Is 50% drain refill an option? This is to bring your CYA down to make your life easier later.

If not- add MA to bring pH down to 7.2 and stock up on bleach to perform SLAM, at least 20 gallons at your current CYA level. Make sure your filter/pump in good working order.

I don't think it was a Bacquil pool. The three containers are all old and dusty, even as of three years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

What I forgot to mention is that, despite the chemicals being off, the water is still gorgeous and there is no algae growth that I can see.

Does this make a difference whether I SLAM or not?

I don't think it was a Bacquil pool. The three containers are all old and dusty, even as of three years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

What I forgot to mention is that, despite the chemicals being off, the water is still gorgeous and there is no algae growth that I can see.

Does this make a difference whether I SLAM or not?
Are you losing FC overnight or not? If you do you don't have choice and need to go through SLAM to stop that.

In any event bring your FC to target 8 ppm by putting 2 jugs of bleach in, you're dangerously low on FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.