Raypak heater thinks pool is warmer then it is

mzancz

Jun 15, 2015
Randolph
Hi,

I have a Raypak P-R406A-EN-C pool heater, I believe the previous owner put it in about 3 years ago now. If I set the pool temp to say 84 degrees the heater fires up and starts heating, it might say the water temp is 80 degrees. It starts heating and then goes to no demand when it hits 84 degrees. The problem is the pool is maybe high 70's at best. It's as if the heater thinks the water is warmer, so it goes back to no demand. Is there a temprature sensor or something that might be causing this that either needs to be set to the current actual water temp, or maybe needs replacing? Also is there any maintenance I should be doing on this unit, such as filters, or something to wash out? Thanks in advance.

Make sure the unit isn't plumbed backwards where the water coming in is actually coming in thru the return side. This is one cause of the symptom. No error messages on the disply?

It's plumbed correctly. We have been living in the house for the past two years, and it has worked properly the last two summers. I can feel warm water coming out the jets in the pool. It's just that it never really gets too warm because it reads the water temp as being higher then it is. The display just says heating, or no demand when it reaches the set temp. All appears to be functioning but just not warm like it used to be!

Usually when the sensor fails the system will tell you so on the display. I have yet to see one where the sensor is just out of whack. I install hundreds of Raypak/Rheem's each year and have never seen this issue. Yes it could be a first but I am not sure that the temp sensor is the issue.

You do not have an automation system connected to it do you?

Thanks. I can try and check these things this weekend. Not sure what you mean by automation system? The Hayward filter is on a timer that comes on twice a day for two four hour windows. If the heater is switched on during these windows it will kick on til it reaches the set temp. If I manually turn the heater on while the filter is on, it will do the same thing. I rarely even have to use the heater but recently noticed this problem when the pool seemed colder then normal. I'll try to do some trouble shooting this weekend. I'm new to the pool thing, and have learned a lot in the process about the filter and SWC, but the heater is a new beast to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.