Blue Solar blanket repairs. Questions please.

Aug 8, 2016
canada
Hi, I'm new kid on the block. Just bought a place with a 72,000 L salt water pool. Love it. Never had a pool before so I'll probably have a tn of questions.
1st one: I have 3 blankets on my pool due to the shape of the layout. Imagine a saguaro cactus layout. It's a lap pool in the middle and shallow areas for the arms. I have a center solar blanket I use to cover the middle area and 2 custom cut blankets for the sides. One of them has an additional piece attached to it so it can cover the area properly. The last owner simply duct taped this piece to the larger one that was cut for the area. However, it's now constantly coming apart and I can't get the piece to stay on the area for more than a week with duct tape. Is there a way to glue or sew this piece to the other piece that was custom cut for this area of the pool? the center piece is not connected to this piece at all. All 3 pieces are independent of each other.
Suggestions on how to permanently secure this piece to the other custom cut one. I don't want to attach this piece to the center one at all.

Thanks.:confused:

Welcome to TFP!

So you want the two custom cut parts to reach across the center piece and attach to each other? I don't see much of a benefit to that, but I'm not there. A pair of straps made of a very lightweight material like nylon may do it. With edges taped for reinforcement you could attach them to the covers with zip ties or something. But even a very lightweight fabric would sink and pull the sections together, squeezing the center part. Either way, I don't know how well a fabric would stand up to the chlorine and sun.

Welcome to TFP!

So you want the two custom cut parts to reach across the center piece and attach to each other? I don't see much of a benefit to that, but I'm not there. A pair of straps made of a very lightweight material like nylon may do it. With edges taped for reinforcement you could attach them to the covers with zip ties or something. But even a very lightweight fabric would sink and pull the sections together, squeezing the center part. Either way, I don't know how well a fabric would stand up to the chlorine and sun.

No. I have 3 separate pieces of solar blanket. The main large one covers the middle of the pool. The other 2 are completely separate from the main. I do NOT want to attach them to the main or each other. One of the pieces has a part that is attached to it so that it can cover the area that it needs to.
Basically what I'm asking is how can I sew or glue 2 pieces of solar heater together? Glue it? Sew it? Hot glue? Duct tape doesn't work. The same question put another way: How do I repair a large tear in the solar blanket? Do I sew it? Glue it? What glue should I use in my salt water pool?
Thanks.

Pretty sure you'll need to buy something new and cut it to fit.

covers and liners are "welded" together at facilities....not something you could do to your existing one.
You *might* possibly be able to sew it together with heavy thread/string and a thick needle, but I probably
would just get a new piece.

general rule of thumb is to discard liners when they are not doing what you want / falling apart.

I'd sure like to see a photo of your cactus pool...never seen one of those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.