New to the pool world...help please

We just purchased a home with an inground pool that had not been opened in 3 years. After a couple of weeks of hard work we have the water tests adjusted and the water is crystal clear! The pool was full of black algae when we started. Everything that I have read says that I should change the sand in my filter at this point. All of the model numbers and such are not visible anymore. How do I know how much sand to put in my filter?

Hi Jess, welcome to TFP,

I do not have a sand filter, but everything I have read on this site says that the sand does not "go bad" or get "used up". When you backwash does the waste water look clear after a few minutes? If so, I see no obvious reason to change it.

Why do you want to change the sand? Also, if you'll send us a pic, I'm sure someone here will be able to identify your filter.

You should get additional input, as people that are more familiar sand filters, read your question.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome. Congratulations, great story. Sounds like you made that happen in a very short time, awesome. How did you test the water? I would personally stop reading those articles, sand really never needs to be changed. Whatever you did to clear the water of algae cleared the filter as well. It took it from black to clear in several weeks - I would say it is working fine! Black and mustard algae get a lot of attention but are treated the same as regular algae with measured, elevated and consistent chlorine levels.

If you really want to change the sand, most filters call for 10-12" of "freeboard" or open space at the top of filter. If you can post a pic and measure the height and diameter of the filter most likely somebody will be able to tell you what it is.

Update - I took to long to post and basically copied Jim verbatim.

You really don't need to change the sand but if you want to, its your choice...
A good benefit of changing it is you get to look inside and see how it works... You can see if your laterals are good (major problem if your filter starts throwing things back into your pool) and youll basically be starting new and not worrying about whats stuck wayyyyyy down in there....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.