Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused about closing chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused about closing chemicals

Do I need algaecide? What about metal "suppressants"? My PB is recommending all sorts, and I naturally don't trust any of them! Aside from dumping a few jugs of bleach, do I really need all the other stuff?
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Confused about closing chemicals

Lol, he probably wants you to put a copper based algaecide in and then add a metal sequestrant to protect your pool from the copper he had you put in.

I personally just bring the pool up to SLAM level overnight before covering and pass on the algaecide. I have opened to a clear pool 5 years running. Some people choose to use a polyquat algaecide for added protection when closing but that is personal preference and situation.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You don't "need" algaecide. I do fine without it, some folks use it ( PolyQuat 60, nothing with metals, etc) as insurance. Beyond that, don't waste your money. Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I always have to add algaecide, but I only add Polyquat 60 as it doesn't have copper. Other algaecides have copper which can cause staining. I get warm spells during the winter and freezes during the early spring that prevent me from opening too early, so I need the insurance that algaecide provides.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc View Post
    I always have to add algaecide, but I only add Polyquat 60 as it doesn't have copper. Other algaecides have copper which can cause staining. I get warm spells during the winter and freezes during the early spring that prevent me from opening too early, so I need the insurance that algaecide provides.
    This sounds like my situation...somewhat of a freeze/thaw throughout the year...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Lol, he probably wants you to put a copper based algaecide in and then add a metal sequestrant to protect your pool from the copper he had you put in.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten
    Ha!!! No doubt. Thx for the tip!! Will tell PB to pound dirt.

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Let's move away from the pool closing conversation... I am not even close to ready for summer to end!!!
    17K Gallon,IG Vinyl,1hp Pentair Challenger,Pentair TA60 Sand Filter, Hayward Colorlogic,Re-lined 06-20-15, TF-100,SpeedStir,Lagunitas and Margaritas. Zappafan Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, I'm surprised a closing thread got to post six without this secret of TFP. Shushhhh, it's a secret...

Close as late as you can and open as early as you can. Your SWG will probably stop working, so you may have to use bleach for a short while, both during the closing season and after opening. You want the water cold when you close, consistently below 60 - even lower if possible. Then in the spring (late winter) open as soon as you are sure you are past any days long hard freezes. The secret, cold water inhibits algae growth. The colder the better.

People will look at you strange, but close cold/open cold and with a little luck you open to a perfectly clear pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Zappafan View Post
    Let's move away from the pool closing conversation... I am not even close to ready for summer to end!!!
    Sorry. I asked now because i pay PB to close the plumbing side of things. That way if anything goes wrong, they have to fix it...anyway, when i book now, I say 10%. They asked if I wanted basic close vs an enhanced close where they add a "closing chemical package", for an additional 100 bucks!! When I asked what chems they add, I may have offended them by suggesting their 100$ extra for chems that cost 20$ is a slight rip off!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised a closing thread got to post six without this secret of TFP. Shushhhh, it's a secret...

Close as late as you can and open as early as you can. Your SWG will probably stop working, so you may have to use bleach for a short while, both during the closing season and after opening. You want the water cold when you close, consistently below 60 - even lower if possible. Then in the spring (late winter) open as soon as you are sure you are past any days long hard freezes. The secret, cold water inhibits algae growth. The colder the better.

People will look at you strange, but close cold/open cold and with a little luck you open to a perfectly clear pool
    Makes perfect sense. We booked closing for end of September. Next year I will open myself. But better to pass liability of close to PB for the plumbing side of things.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post

I've been doing this the last few years but I'm going to try the algaecide this year and try to close earlier and open later than I have in the past. I got tired of maintaining a pool with no benefits. The closing later and opening earlier sounds good, but the extra time, chlorine and pump run time that it requires with no benefit just makes me want to try the algaecide this time around.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

tag for later