Can I drain my Chlorine Hot Tub into my Chlorine Pool?

May 26, 2012
Hi All, I have a roughly 30k-35k gallon pool with chlorine and a 500 gallon hot tub. I typically dump hot tub water quarterly out into the lawn, but I wondered today if it was safe to just dump it into the pool instead, and then just test/rebalance the pool water if required. If it's common practice, where do you typically dump the water? Directly into the skimmer basket, or perhaps in the pool right on the other side of the skimmer?

Thanks!
Chris

I just pump mine directly into the pool, paying no mind to where in relation to the skimmer. Not a bad idea to run it through the skimmer though.

If I understand correctly, you have a hot tub on its own filtration system separate from your pool? I don't see any reason you couldn't dump it straight in as long as the chemicals are reasonable - the hot tub is 1/60th the volume of the pool, so your hot tub chemicals would have to be way off to impact the pool. You would want to confirm FC and pH afterwards, but it would save some wasted water.

I don't see why not (as long as there is not anything particularly wrong with the water). I would start by balancing the pH and bringing the tub to SLAM FC. Then drain it into the pool.

Thanks to the three responders - appreciate the feedback, sounds like what I'll do then! Hot tub pH is good, little light on chlorine but I didn't bring it up because I knew I was dumping it before using it again. Nothing wrong with the water, just the quarterly draining cycle.

I do it every three or four months.

The only time I didn't was after two week vacation that I forgot chlorine for the tub before I left. It was not pretty when we returned......

I also refill my hot tub with pool water, since it's already balanced for FC, CYA, and salt.

I also refill my hot tub with pool water, since it's already balanced for FC, CYA, and salt.
Hey, that is pretty good thinking!

Pretty good? Pretty good? :grin:

I'll bet my vacuum line can reach our hot tub, too. The pool pump and a 1.25" hose is lightning compared to the little submersible pump and garden hose that I use.

I hate the bromine in our tub even more now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.