Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I drain my Chlorine Hot Tub into my Chlorine Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I drain my Chlorine Hot Tub into my Chlorine Pool?

Hi All, I have a roughly 30k-35k gallon pool with chlorine and a 500 gallon hot tub. I typically dump hot tub water quarterly out into the lawn, but I wondered today if it was safe to just dump it into the pool instead, and then just test/rebalance the pool water if required. If it's common practice, where do you typically dump the water? Directly into the skimmer basket, or perhaps in the pool right on the other side of the skimmer?

Thanks!
    Chris
    ~29k gal IG Vinyl Pool with Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can I drain my Chlorine Hot Tub into my Chlorine Pool?

I just pump mine directly into the pool, paying no mind to where in relation to the skimmer. Not a bad idea to run it through the skimmer though.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

3. Back To Top    #3

If I understand correctly, you have a hot tub on its own filtration system separate from your pool? I don't see any reason you couldn't dump it straight in as long as the chemicals are reasonable - the hot tub is 1/60th the volume of the pool, so your hot tub chemicals would have to be way off to impact the pool. You would want to confirm FC and pH afterwards, but it would save some wasted water.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see why not (as long as there is not anything particularly wrong with the water). I would start by balancing the pH and bringing the tub to SLAM FC. Then drain it into the pool.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to the three responders - appreciate the feedback, sounds like what I'll do then! Hot tub pH is good, little light on chlorine but I didn't bring it up because I knew I was dumping it before using it again. Nothing wrong with the water, just the quarterly draining cycle.
    ~29k gal IG Vinyl Pool with Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I do it every three or four months.

The only time I didn't was after two week vacation that I forgot chlorine for the tub before I left. It was not pretty when we returned......
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I also refill my hot tub with pool water, since it's already balanced for FC, CYA, and salt.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I also refill my hot tub with pool water, since it's already balanced for FC, CYA, and salt.
    Hey, that is pretty good thinking!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    Hey, that is pretty good thinking!
    Pretty good? Pretty good?

I'll bet my vacuum line can reach our hot tub, too. The pool pump and a 1.25" hose is lightning compared to the little submersible pump and garden hose that I use.

I hate the bromine in our tub even more now.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Drain it and convert to the good side!

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

It's on my to-do list this fall.

Not that I look forward to working on the hot tub (or doing without it even for a bit), but I'm looking forward to switching over.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.