Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
hello from Connecticut.

symptoms started with the pump/heater 20amp gfi breaker tripped. Opened up the heater and found the problem...the mice have enjoyed the heater. Rather annoyed at myself as I knew this was going to be a concern and I thought I was on top of it with successful mouse traps set throughout the year.....<<sigh>> next time I will remove the panels to keep an eye on the heater.

That said, they definitely gnawed on some wiring on the low voltage / controller side of things, without actually removing the harness yet nothing appears to be chewed through but a few bare ones. I can't find any evidence of damage on the high voltage side going to the igniter/blower etc.

What I am looking for is help getting started on a repair, I am thinking the control board may have gotten shorted out. Assume wherever I buy a control board from won't take it back if that's not the problem.

So to start get a wiring harness and replace all suspect wires and see if that fixes it, from there replace the control board. From there I am at a loss. Can the boards be bench tested? Anyone have a spare?

Good news is we don't use the heater except at the beginning and end of the season, during the summer the pool can hold its own, I have been able to isolate the heater electrically and at least get the pump running again.

Anything else I could be missing that would trip a gfi breaker immediately? (it trips as soon as the circuit is energized )

Any thoughts or information welcome.

Pentair master temp 400
18x36 free form vinyl pool
Jandy SWG and automation

because every post is better with photos

pool 4th 2015-18 by Jon Miller, on Flickr

Repair all of the chewed wires and then test. I do not know of anyone that bench tests these board as I just replace and go.

Now you could get a company to come out and diagnose the issue and if they put a new board in and that is not the issue they should take it out and not charge you for it obviously.

I believe there are kits you can buy to help seal up all the entry points into the heater. Basically a bunch of fine mesh chicken wire cut outs. You can also make them yourself.

I swear, somewhere underground there's an evil, giant brained rat building a nuclear bomb out of all the wiring and electronics these mice steal planning to wipe out all of the cats in the world...

If you are saying that the breaker trips immediately when turning on the pump, but did not once you disconnected the heater, then somewhere in the heater high voltage side is causing the trip. Or i should say the (high voltage) wiring, and heaters' x-former. Check ALL high voltage wiring. This would be from the initial connection, to the terminal board, to the ignition control board. (inside the grey galvanized box with the stickers on it). Next, try unplugging the low voltage plug from the main board (from x-former to the board) this is the only four conductor plug on the board, and see if it still trips. If no trip, then the board is shorted. Also check the HSI wire insulation to be sure that the mice have not chewed it.

edit.....thanks pool clown. I dug deeper into the wires, taped any wire with any sign of damage...and now the heater is running : )

cheap me wants to cancel order for new wire harness....practical me will probably let the harness show up and keep it until it breaks again.

Thanks to all for checking this thread.....CHECK YOUR HEATERS FOR MICE or other vermin...... little F---ers! cost myself hours of labor (and I am expensive to myself)

Many folks use moth balls around the units to keep mice away. Also there is a product called Bobcat Urine, crystallized form, that you can sprinkle around to keep them away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.