Trying to move away from Pucks for daily use...

radamo

Sep 3, 2015
Holbrook, NY
I am new to this process and have most things in line. My CYA is currently about 60. My FC is about 6. I am going to begin using liquid bleach when I can to avoid having the CYA go higher. How much household bleach do I add on a daily basis to maintain? The pool is 17,100 gallon above ground. Gets lots of sun.
Thanks for any help.
Rich

Good morning Rich and welcome to TFP! :wave: For bleach or any other product you need to add, simply use the Poolmath calculator . It's one of your best tools. Make sure to manually update the "WEIGHT" field on the FC row to show the correct percentage bleach you are using. Also use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart so you know what level you should be at.

Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to the forum :handwave:

The PoolMath link at the top of the page will tell you how much to add, you put your pool volume in, strength of the bleach, and current and target FC and it will do the caluclations for you. This time of year it is normal for many to use 1 to 3 ppm per day depends on a lot of factors.

Texas Splash types faster than I do ;)

Pool math is the way to go.....after you get to know your pool, you can work off of memory. For your pool you're looking at 13oz of 8.25% bleach to move the FC up by .5ppm, so anywhere from 26oz to 78oz a day during summer.

I guess the shed will have some space saved for bleach... I will save the pucks for when I am on business trips.

- - - Updated - - -

Our pools are almost the same size. Here in South TX I feed my pool about 1/2 gal of regular 8.25% bleach each evening (about 2.5 FC loss per day) if that helps you at all.

Cool... I will try this to start and see how it goes. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.

Your actual chlorine additions should be based around accurate and reliable daily testing, which is the core of what we teach.

How do you currently test your water?

With a CYA of 60ppm, your daily FC target is 7ppm, with the minimum being 5ppm.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is fine, depending on where Holbrook is it might not be too bad if you close for winter and get some rain to dilute the cya. Using pucks isn't bad if you manage the other water chemistry appropriately. Pucks add CYA and lower PH and TA.

Yes, Holbrook is in NY (Long Island). We definitely close for the winter. The charts on your site showing the proper FC by CYA value will prove invaluable I am sure. So when I get home tonight I will be running "LOTS OF TESTS"... Just got my TF-100 last week so am just learning how to use it.

That make me feel a bit better... going to give it a try. So if I want to shock my pool it is recommended at CYA of 60 to get the chlorine up to 24. If it only goes down by 2 per day (approximately) how soon can I use the pool again?
RA

That make me feel a bit better... going to give it a try. So if I want to shock my pool it is recommended at CYA of 60 to get the chlorine up to 24. If it only goes down by 2 per day (approximately) how soon can I use the pool again?
RA
As mentioned, a SLAM is not a one-time thing.

It is perfectly fine to swim as long as the FC is at or below shock level for your CYA, and the pool is clear enough to see bottom, in case someone is in trouble down there.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.