Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to move away from Pucks for daily use...

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to move away from Pucks for daily use...

I am new to this process and have most things in line. My CYA is currently about 60. My FC is about 6. I am going to begin using liquid bleach when I can to avoid having the CYA go higher. How much household bleach do I add on a daily basis to maintain? The pool is 17,100 gallon above ground. Gets lots of sun.
    Thanks for any help.
    Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to move away from Pucks for daily use...

Good morning Rich and welcome to TFP! For bleach or any other product you need to add, simply use the Poolmath calculator . It's one of your best tools. Make sure to manually update the "WEIGHT" field on the FC row to show the correct percentage bleach you are using. Also use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart so you know what level you should be at.

Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

The PoolMath link at the top of the page will tell you how much to add, you put your pool volume in, strength of the bleach, and current and target FC and it will do the caluclations for you. This time of year it is normal for many to use 1 to 3 ppm per day depends on a lot of factors.

Texas Splash types faster than I do
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool math is the way to go.....after you get to know your pool, you can work off of memory. For your pool you're looking at 13oz of 8.25% bleach to move the FC up by .5ppm, so anywhere from 26oz to 78oz a day during summer.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the warm welcome and fast replies. So we are talking about 1/4 to 3/4 gallon per day? Seems like I need to find a place to store a lot of bleach???

6. Back To Top    #6

Our pools are almost the same size. Here in South TX I feed my pool about 1/2 gal of regular 8.25% bleach each evening (about 2.5 FC loss per day) if that helps you at all.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I buy 4-6 gallons at a time and restock when I get to 2 or less. If it's any consolation you will never run out of bleach for laundry again and it's generally cheaper than the tabs plus the no extra CYA is priceless.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess the shed will have some space saved for bleach... I will save the pucks for when I am on business trips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Our pools are almost the same size. Here in South TX I feed my pool about 1/2 gal of regular 8.25% bleach each evening (about 2.5 FC loss per day) if that helps you at all.
    Cool... I will try this to start and see how it goes. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by radamo View Post
    I guess the shed will have some space saved for bleach... I will save the pucks for when I am on business trips.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Cool... I will try this to start and see how it goes. Thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

Your actual chlorine additions should be based around accurate and reliable daily testing, which is the core of what we teach.

How do you currently test your water?

With a CYA of 60ppm, your daily FC target is 7ppm, with the minimum being 5ppm.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Also, if you do stock up on liquid chlorine, be sure to keep it out of the sun/heat. It loses strength over time and heat makes it happen faster.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Also, if you do stock up on liquid chlorine, be sure to keep it out of the sun/heat. It loses strength over time and heat makes it happen faster.
    YIKES! That means the shed is out and garage is out. I don't have a basement so maybe I am not going with liquid.
    Above Ground 27' Round (17,100 Gals.), DE Filter, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Most folks store bleach/liquid chlorine in the pantry or laundry room.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Most folks have more room than I do.. My "Laundry room" is big enough for my washer and dryer... not much else. It is a closet. Oh well. Maybe sticking with pucks.

14. Back To Top    #14

That is fine, depending on where Holbrook is it might not be too bad if you close for winter and get some rain to dilute the cya. Using pucks isn't bad if you manage the other water chemistry appropriately. Pucks add CYA and lower PH and TA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, Holbrook is in NY (Long Island). We definitely close for the winter. The charts on your site showing the proper FC by CYA value will prove invaluable I am sure. So when I get home tonight I will be running "LOTS OF TESTS"... Just got my TF-100 last week so am just learning how to use it.

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm in Al where it's blazing hot. 98 today w heat index of 105. I keep my liquid in a deck box on patio. I buy 10 jugs at a time. I look for the freshest Julian date and mine stores just fine in the box
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

17. Back To Top    #17

That make me feel a bit better... going to give it a try. So if I want to shock my pool it is recommended at CYA of 60 to get the chlorine up to 24. If it only goes down by 2 per day (approximately) how soon can I use the pool again?
    RA

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

We don't 'shock' our pools. Following the TFPC method, you SLaM your pool. The difference is that a 'shock' is a one time thing. A SLaM is maintaining the proper shock level until your pool passes the 3 tests.

Here is the link :Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by radamo View Post
    That make me feel a bit better... going to give it a try. So if I want to shock my pool it is recommended at CYA of 60 to get the chlorine up to 24. If it only goes down by 2 per day (approximately) how soon can I use the pool again?
    RA
    As mentioned, a SLAM is not a one-time thing.

It is perfectly fine to swim as long as the FC is at or below shock level for your CYA, and the pool is clear enough to see bottom, in case someone is in trouble down there.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

So happy that you have a TF-100!

No reason to "shock" the pool. You can do an OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to determine if you have something growing which means you have to SLAM.

If you pass the OCLT, you don't need to SLAM. If you fail the OCLT, then you need to SLAM.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast