Just got my test kit, now what do I do? new pool owner...

Aug 3, 2016
syracuse NY
Ok I had some issues with stabilizer so my TC kit came Saturday evening, I tested the water yesterday-
FC 5
CC 1.5
Calcium Hardiness 300PPM
TA 110
CYA 30

I added stabilizer (2 lbs) on July 29th waited three days then checked it and it was still low. I added another 1 lb. on Sunday July 31st
Then checked it Aug 3rd, still low and added another 1 pound.
Seems like my PH is high now too?

Sue, I don't see your pH, but before you increase CYA any further, perhaps we should make sure your water is clear and algae-free first. While you should have a minimum CYA of 70 for a SWG pool, if you have any cloudiness or hint of green algae somewhere then you'll want to do a "SLAM" at a lower CYA level to save on bleach. Your CC is a bit elevated which is a sign that your pool is trying to get rid of some excessive organics. Before you go too much further, you might want to perform an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out algae or the need to "SLAM". If you pass the OCLT, then continue to adjust CYA to 70.
Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You can post your pH on the next update. :)

Hmmm in the kit it said the TA test determined PH and for SWG it should be between 60-80? Maybe I skipped something, I will have to go back and check again.
The pool is crystal clear, no algae at all.
I will check out the OCLT-thanks

With SLAMming the pool, if I need to do that, I add bleach or chlorine? Even though it is a SWG? There is a BOOST button on the nano-cell which I was told to do about once a month, I am guessing that si not the same as SLAMming the pool?

Bleach and chlorine are the same thing. So you can go to your local grocery store and use whatever bleach is the best bargain - generic is fine. Just nothing that says splashless or scented - only regular. Generally bleach is the best choice for a SLAM because SWGs are not designed to sustain such high FC levels over a long period of time - especially in the early part of the SLAM when FC levels might drop fairly quickly. Just give the SWG (cells) a break. But you can experiment and try. The SWG may be helpful if you leave the house all day and are not around to manually add bleach.

Did the OCLT test, FC was 5 last night and 5 this morning. So I added more stabilizer, about 1 1/2 pounds. I also checked the PH, it is 7.8. I think that is a little high? I'll check the stabilizer again in 3-4 days and see if it went up at all.

A passed OCLT, woo hoo. 7.8 is perfect - just keep an eye on it as it will tend to rise with a SWG. Lots of pools settle out around 7.8 so hopefully your's is one of those. If it creeps up, add some muriatic acid and knock it down to ~7.5. PH/TA will likely be your main focus as your FC should be kept pretty level by slight adjustments of the %.

Good plan with the CYA. In the mean time, enjoy that pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.