Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just got my test kit, now what do I do? new pool owner...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just got my test kit, now what do I do? new pool owner...

Ok I had some issues with stabilizer so my TC kit came Saturday evening, I tested the water yesterday-
    FC 5
    CC 1.5
    Calcium Hardiness 300PPM
    TA 110
    CYA 30

I added stabilizer (2 lbs) on July 29th waited three days then checked it and it was still low. I added another 1 lb. on Sunday July 31st
    Then checked it Aug 3rd, still low and added another 1 pound.
    Seems like my PH is high now too?
    AG, SWG, OPERA series, 15 x 26, pool pilot digital nano plus/220V, cartridge filter, May 2016 install.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just got my test kit, now what do I do? new pool owner...

Sue, I don't see your pH, but before you increase CYA any further, perhaps we should make sure your water is clear and algae-free first. While you should have a minimum CYA of 70 for a SWG pool, if you have any cloudiness or hint of green algae somewhere then you'll want to do a "SLAM" at a lower CYA level to save on bleach. Your CC is a bit elevated which is a sign that your pool is trying to get rid of some excessive organics. Before you go too much further, you might want to perform an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out algae or the need to "SLAM". If you pass the OCLT, then continue to adjust CYA to 70.
    Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You can post your pH on the next update.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm in the kit it said the TA test determined PH and for SWG it should be between 60-80? Maybe I skipped something, I will have to go back and check again.
    The pool is crystal clear, no algae at all.
    I will check out the OCLT-thanks
    AG, SWG, OPERA series, 15 x 26, pool pilot digital nano plus/220V, cartridge filter, May 2016 install.

4. Back To Top    #4

With SLAMming the pool, if I need to do that, I add bleach or chlorine? Even though it is a SWG? There is a BOOST button on the nano-cell which I was told to do about once a month, I am guessing that si not the same as SLAMming the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Bleach and chlorine are the same thing. So you can go to your local grocery store and use whatever bleach is the best bargain - generic is fine. Just nothing that says splashless or scented - only regular. Generally bleach is the best choice for a SLAM because SWGs are not designed to sustain such high FC levels over a long period of time - especially in the early part of the SLAM when FC levels might drop fairly quickly. Just give the SWG (cells) a break. But you can experiment and try. The SWG may be helpful if you leave the house all day and are not around to manually add bleach.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Did the OCLT test, FC was 5 last night and 5 this morning. So I added more stabilizer, about 1 1/2 pounds. I also checked the PH, it is 7.8. I think that is a little high? I'll check the stabilizer again in 3-4 days and see if it went up at all.

7. Back To Top    #7

A passed OCLT, woo hoo. 7.8 is perfect - just keep an eye on it as it will tend to rise with a SWG. Lots of pools settle out around 7.8 so hopefully your's is one of those. If it creeps up, add some muriatic acid and knock it down to ~7.5. PH/TA will likely be your main focus as your FC should be kept pretty level by slight adjustments of the %.

Good plan with the CYA. In the mean time, enjoy that pool!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100