Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Olympic Pool

Has anyone noticed how beautiful the water in the Olympic swimming pool is? Dying to fly down to Rio with my test kit to test it. Husband was asking me what kind of filter that would use and I have no idea. Is there a different kind of filter used on that kind of pool, or just bigger versions of the type used in residential pools.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Olympic Pool

The Australians would thank you as they have refused to use the warm up pools and training pools because they are cloudy.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7176006.html

I could not find out what type of filter Mythra Pools are using except they state the the olympic pools will use 25% less chemicals because of their quote "special filter system". I note they have UV on their website and show chlorine gas generators in their gallery

btw the 2 main pools are approx 980,000 gallons each

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/a-mo...es-is-unveiled

Just found out they are basically using a sand filter setup, but with different media. Perlite (Volcanic rock) instead of sand, with added DE.
    Last edited by Caco; 08-08-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: New data
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

Funny, I caught a bit last night and told my wife how nasty and cloudy the water looked. I suspect their CYA level is too high and chlorine level not high enough, just like my neighbor's pool that always turns cloudy after people swim in it.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

5. Back To Top    #5

I would be very surprised if they use CYA as most large public pools don't use any CYA that I'm aware of.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I would be very surprised if they use CYA as most large public pools don't use any CYA that I'm aware of.
    Even for outdoor? I consulted for a commercial pool that was in bad shape, and every person I talked to was shocked I was using CYA for a commercial pool. The commercial pool distributor did not even carry it.

Our municipality prohibits CYA for indoor pools, but not outdoor.

But to OP, the commercial pool I have experience with had 3 huge inline sand filters.

7. Back To Top    #7

why don't commercial pools use CYA?

//edit, I think I answered my own question. Read this on another page, which makes sense:

"If, however, you are running a high demand facility (rec. pool, water park, municipal pool, summer camp. Etc.), you do not want your chlorine to be bound up and ineffective; you want it to sanitize the water, and to do it quickly!"

So with a rec pool you want to just add chlorine as fast as necessary to keep the FC ppm at the right levels I guess.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    why don't commercial pools use CYA?

//edit, I think I answered my own question. Read this on another page, which makes sense:

"If, however, you are running a high demand facility (rec. pool, water park, municipal pool, summer camp. Etc.), you do not want your chlorine to be bound up and ineffective; you want it to sanitize the water, and to do it quickly!"

So with a rec pool you want to just add chlorine as fast as necessary to keep the FC ppm at the right levels I guess.
    I'm not sure.

The issue with not having CYA in this pool was that it was a very old pool with poor circulation, and the shallow end would have high FC while the deep end would be at 0.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

They do not want any chlorine to be bound by the CYA and not have another cost to run the pool. The don't care how harsh the chlorine is, as long as they are within their regulations.

Keep in mind they lose a lot of water due to various reasons.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

So, it just turned green, so who wants to troubleshoot it?
    IG Vinyl, free-form 25' x 40', 25,000 gal., Hayward 1-1/2 hp Superpump, Hayward S310T 500lb. Sand filter, AquaLogic T-Cell 15 SWG and Automation, Hayward H300 Milivolt 300k btu NG heater, TF-100 Test Kit w/spinner

11. Back To Top    #11

At the same time, this is Brazil. Chemistry is universal but regulations aren't.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

12. Back To Top    #12

10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Pentair Rebel

13. Back To Top    #13

IMG_8190.JPG

This is amazing. News reorts are commenting as "what could have happened?!" Haha. I think we all know.

I would LOVE to fly down with my test kit.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow! Is that algae? Could algae turn that much water green overnight?
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

15. Back To Top    #15

This article cracks me up!
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Can you get a TF-100 in Brazil? Pool store testing obviously isn't cutting it.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

17. Back To Top    #17

It's their colors. Blue and green. It is a very vibrant green.
    AG Round Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48", 5050 gallons
    Intex 28681EG / CS20110 Combo Sand Filter Pump & Salt Water System
    Intex Auto Pool Cleaner, Intex Wall Mount Skimmer, Intex LED Pool Sprayer
    TF-100, K-1766, Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

I was wondering if it might be copper. The water doesn't seem cloudy, just bright green.

- - - Updated - - -

The diving pool at the Rio Olympics has turned bright green. Here are some theories. - Vox

19. Back To Top    #19

I wonder if they use copper as well. I noticed Ryan Lochte's hair has a bit of green tint to it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

My money's on copper. I can't exactly imagine them under chlorinating prior to a major event. But I can picture them shocking the daylights out of it overnight...

Okay, in the UK sun, there was this rather amusing passage:

Unconfirmed reports claimed that the pH level in the pool had risen to 9, an alkaline reading, when the optimum level is 7.4, much closer to neutral.

That would indicate there was not enough chlorine in the water, which in turn could have allowed green-coloured algae to grow.

A source alleged the venue managers had had to "shock" the pool back down to a normal pH just two hours before the competition began.
    WTH? Where to start on that one, eh? We should invite the aquatics peeps to open a thread
    "Help, i have a major international event in an hour and my pool just turned green!"
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast