Variable speed pump suitable for Paramount PCC2000 system?

I have a 14,000 gallon play pool built in 1986. It has the Paramount in-floor cleaning system, a large sand filter, and a single speed 1.5HP pump. I also have a Jandy Aqualink RS system from 10 years ago. There are 5 circuits with 2 heads per circuit. From what I can find online they are 18-20 gallon per minute flow heads. I also read that you should have 12-18 psi on the filter gauge. I run the system with return water flowing only to the in-floor jets. There are two return nozzles in the side walls but I've never really run them. The pressure gauge on top of my sand filter reads 35-38 psi all the time. I backwash about every month and the gauge never really changes, same before and after the backwash.

From what's I've been reading it sounds like maybe my pump is oversized for my pool. Does this make sense?

Would a variable speed pump save me much money? I have a high efficiency motor (special ordered) which saves some electric over the standard pool motors. Say I need to deliver 40 gallons per minute to the in-floor nozzles. Does this mean I would run the pump at that flow rate?

Also what variable speed pump to get. The Jandy integrates with the Aqualink but it looks like my system is too old to link to. If I get one I would want the permanent magnet motor.

Also one disclaimer, I'm an electrical engineer :(

Welcome to the forum!

What is the exact model of your pump? Most pumps are not large enough to create 35-38 PSI so I suspect your filter gauge might broken. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump shuts off?

The in-floor valve should also have a pressure gauge. What does that read?

Would a variable speed pump save me much money?
Not much with an in-floor. Maybe 10-20% in energy savings. Hard to recoup given the cost of the pump.

My pool was built in 1986 and the pump and Paramount in-floor system are original. I've owned the house for 26 years. The original sand filter housing developed a crack and was replaced under warranty at 9.5 years. That replacement failed at 10.5 years out of warranty. I am now on the third sand filter. Each time the filter was replaced the gauge was also replaced. Ever since we've owned the house the various filter gauges have read 36-38 psi. At one point when we first owned the house a pool supply store told me that the pressure was so high because the sand was bad. We replaced the sand and the pressure didn't change.

I called Paramount tech support yesterday and was told that I should have no more than 20 psi at the Paramount cleaning system. My system is so old that that it does not have a gauge. I have ordered a new top and gauge and should have them by the weekend. The Paramount guy told me that back then the recommended that all systems have a 1.5HP or 2HP pump with the in-floor cleaning system. Since I only have 2 heads per circuit I only need 36-40 cfm and with 20 psi.

Here are pics of the pump housing, I could not find any brand or model info on the 30 year old pump. The motor has been replaced many times so the brand of the motor has no relation to the pump.

IMG_1703.jpgIMG_1704.jpg

38 PSI is 88' of head loss so if true, there is way too much head loss in that plumbing. That pump is probably not producing much in terms of flow rate either at that head loss (~40 GPM). If you bypass the in-floor cleaners and use just the returns, what is the filter pressure?

Normally, I see more that 2 heads per circuit which could be the issue. The fewer the heads, the more head loss and the higher the pressure.

First, I should have had my glasses on last time I read the gauge. It is 30-31 PSI with just the in-floor on. Just opened the gate to the other return and the pressure gauge on the tank reads 18-20 now. I don't see any reason in my pool to run any return other than the in-floor. So it seems that a variable speed pump could run my in-floor at 40 GPM and be running slower than my current system? I also have a clamp on current meter and I will measure the motor current with just the in-floor return and with both returns and post here. Also, I will still install the new dome lid on the Paramount system with the gauge to have more data.

Update/Final. I received the new Paramount valve actuator lid with gauge and with my old pump I had 31 psi at the actuator valve and according to Paramount I only need 20 psi there.

I asked at my local pool store about interfacing the variable speed pumps they had on display to the aqualink and the associate told me that a Jandy pump will integrate the best and he happened to have one in back. The manager overheard and offered it for $500 because the Jandy rep gave them a killer deal to try to sell them. Our local utility also has $100 rebate so I was out the door with a 1HP Jandy e pump for $400 plus tax.

I had to upgrade my iAquaLink to a 2.0 version to handle the variable speed which was another $550 but I really wanted to control it over the internet so I was ok spending on that.

After, I am running 4 hours at full speed (21 psi at the valve actuator) and 4 hours at half speed. That's 4 hours at 1250 watts and 4 hours at 170 watts. Before I was running 2130 watts for 8 hours.

Pretty silly for the pool builder to put a high head pump on a pool with only 45 ft of suction line and only 2 in-floor heads per circuti (I'd assume). But maybe Paramount recommended that initially. The paramount service guy on the phone seemed pretty versed in more pressure than necessary.

I should see some nice savings, on the order of $30 a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.