Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Valve help needed

Continuing the effort to bring a neglected frog filled swamp back to life. New liner install finally completed this week and the pool is full of water - what a difference! Did a deep clean on the sand filter today, flushed out a lot of small needles from a hemlock that is near the pool. Put things back together, primed the pump and started it up - then lost prime. After some trial and error I found that the system worked well when pulling water from the bottom drain, but would lose prime when I switched the skimmer valve on. After more investigation I found a crack in the body of the valve that goes to the skimmer. The valve is a Hayward SP 722-UA printed on the side of the housing), which is a 1 " ball valve that has a union on each end. I have looked on line, can only find the single union version - does anyone out in TFP land where I can find a replacement?
    Pool is in-ground, 14 X 28 feet. Construction is a metal frame with a vinyl liner. Has separate circulation and booster pumps. Filter is a sand filter, measures 24" in diameter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve help needed

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Shblack View Post
    Continuing the effort to bring a neglected frog filled swamp back to life. New liner install finally completed this week and the pool is full of water - what a difference! Did a deep clean on the sand filter today, flushed out a lot of small needles from a hemlock that is near the pool. Put things back together, primed the pump and started it up - then lost prime. After some trial and error I found that the system worked well when pulling water from the bottom drain, but would lose prime when I switched the skimmer valve on. After more investigation I found a crack in the body of the valve that goes to the skimmer. The valve is a Hayward SP 722-UA printed on the side of the housing), which is a 1 " ball valve that has a union on each end. I have looked on line, can only find the single union version - does anyone out in TFP land where I can find a replacement?
    Is it possible that someone added a union to the valve?

Can you post a picture?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That'd weird - Tried to post a picture, get a message "exceeds my quota by 28kb" and nothing happens. Then I look at what posted and the image is there. Anyway, this is the valve body, rest of the union(s) are still outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool is in-ground, 14 X 28 feet. Construction is a metal frame with a vinyl liner. Has separate circulation and booster pumps. Filter is a sand filter, measures 24" in diameter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I saw that site, all the valves I could find were a union on one end, glue on the other.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Last edited by domct203; 08-09-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: incorrect link
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Called Hayward pool products, got a really annoying recording that repeated every 30 seconds and stated that they were experiencing high call volume and that I should fill out the on line form for quick service. I ended up hanging up the phone, it been nearly 2 days and no response to my Email. Ended up smearing the outside of the valve where it was cracked and putting things back together. Wish us luck, will try tomorrow.