Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help high ta

1. Back To Top    #1

Help high ta

Ok I screwed up today. And added baking soda to my pool thinking I was raising my ph. My ph was at 7 and my ta was at 120. After adding the baking soda my ph went up to 7.2 but now my ta is 250! I am using the Tft test kit. Pool has a sand filter thanks for any advice
    38,000 gallon vinyl lined in ground pool with diving deep end.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help high ta

First piece of advice is print this.
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

There is only one way to lower TA and that is by adding muriatic acid. You can either wait for pH to rise on its own before you add it again or you can follow this process to speed it up, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

What will happen with high ta? Will it come down on its own?
    38,000 gallon vinyl lined in ground pool with diving deep end.

4. Back To Top    #4

High TA will push your PH up faster. Adding acid to lower PH will slowly lower your TA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach