Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Avoid LED lights? Reviews don't look so hot

1. Back To Top    #1

Avoid LED lights? Reviews don't look so hot

Planning a new build and the reviews I've seen for LED lights for all the major suppliers look like they aren't reliable. I'm thinking of saving $1500-$2000 and going old school. My thought is I can swap these out for LEDs later when they are better and cheaper. Any flaws in my thinking?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Avoid LED lights? Reviews don't look so hot

I bought three Pentair 5g Led lights 5 years ago and 1 out of the 3 is now missing the blue bank of lights. Other than that all work great. The reason I bought the Led lights was because when the old school lights went out, I replaced the bulb but could never get them to seal properly. I thought the LED lights would last 5 or more years without issues. I was wrong and will be looking at replacing the one light some time in the near future when I have some extra spending money. I think I spent 1500 dollars total for the three lights with installing them myself. Good luck.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go with the LED. I don't know where you are reading the reviews but I will say on TFP there is more positive than negative. Yes they are expensive to replace. Yes they have had reliability problems. But they are clearly getting better. I might even say that on the whole not much different the incaNdescent lights.

Most like the choice of colors. But understand they are not as bright as incandescent.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

You can put color changing LED bulbs in incadescent fixtures.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Avoid LED lights? Reviews don't look so hot

On TFP you get feedback on all pool builds and infrequently (relative to the quantity of pool builds) hear about issues with LED's so long as they were properly specified and located. Other places where products are reviewed tend to attract negative only comments (or at least negative biased comments). I call it the Internet effect.
    4th season with our full-size Hayward's and no issues. We LOVE them.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

No problems out of out Jandy for 2 years and I have constantly rotating colors.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a new pool. Plastered and filled June 10. We have the pentair5g leds. We love them when we use them. About 2 weeks after start up we were sitting outside with friends and all of a sudden the lights twinkled out to only reds. Nothing would fix it. Called PB up and he came out a couple of days later and replaced it. I asked him if he had seen that issue before. He told me it was the first time. He says that the lights and pentair pumps rarely ever have issues. That they have been the most reliable products. I googled and found one similar issue about 4 years ago with pentair lights. But could not find anything else. I think it was a fluke. But we will see. I'm pretty sure our equipment is warrantied for 5 years.

With that said...are they worth the extra money? It depends. We will probably use them more in the winter than summer. We like it dark out when in the pool. In the past month I've turned the lights on for about 5 minutes. We'd much prefer to look at the stars than be blinded by lights.

Matt
    19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Me too.

I had the stock halogen bulb in my first plaster pool and it was fun to turn on once in awhile to look at, but I didn't really use it other wise.

A good LED bulb was going to be over $ 300.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just to be clear to all the Pentair warranty for professionally installed lights when bundled with other Pentair products is 3 years. Without bundle its 1 year and without pro installation its 60 days. It may be warrantied for longer by your pool builder but that is the current Pentair warranty.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall