Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool loses suction after a few hours

1. Back To Top    #1

pool loses suction after a few hours

I have an odd problem.

Recently got my skimmer basket and skimmer line replaced. Once it was ready I started trying to get the pump filter up and running.

When pump in on recirculate I have no problems. Pump can run for days without losing suction.

When i put pump on filter is when I have issues. Starts off with really low pressure. (2-3psi) Then the pressure slowly climbs up to about 10 over the course of about 2 hours. It stays at 10 psi for about 3-4 more hours then looses suction and stops pulling water in from skimmer line or main drain.

Here is what I have done.
    1. Took apart filter and clean out filters. Then back washed for about 5 minutes.
    2. Made sure skimmer baskets are clean.
    3. Let air out of filter (isn't much air in the filter. )
    4. Same thing happens if It set to skimmer line only of half / half skimmer main drain.

Not sure where to look yet. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Pool info.

Inground medium sized vinyl pool.

DE filter, Chlorine injector

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool loses suction after a few hours

Welcome to TFP!

How does your water look? If it's less than perfect, it may very well be normal DE filter operation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you could have some algae growing in your pool. Nothing clogs a filter faster than algae.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

@johnt it is less than perfect.

@pooldv I vacuumed about 95% of the green algae from the bottom of the pool on Saturday. But I just tested my chlorine levels and they are low. So I have added some shock and then will make sure I vacuum the rest and see if that helps.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Your filter is doing what it is supposed to. It is filtering algae from your pool. In doing so. the filter slowly becomes clogged....increasing psi slowly until it finally becomes almost completely clogged and can no longer function.

Your issue is a chemistry issue. You will need to kill off that algae by SLAMming your pool and, once your pool is clear, all will return to normal.

The only puzzling part is the 2-3 psi when the filter is clean. I think it is a separate issue and, more than likely, you have some gunk wrapped around the impeller.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is how we kill algae, SLAM.

You will need a good test kit to follow this process. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is the best vakue, here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Do a little reading in Pool School. Start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach