Pressure Side wall port

gqneon

May 26, 2016
Frisco, TX
So, I used my Polaris 280 for the first time today and it filled up the bag with about a baseball sized ball of sand, pebbles and random debris.

Ive got a couple questions though.

1. It goes pretty quick. To the point it will get up on its side or one wheel and roll around a good bit sometimes. Can i adjust the speed at which it works easily or not at all? I will read the manual when i get home but was curious if bizarre titlting was common.

2. The pressure side port in the wall. It has that quick connect fitting for the polaris. It works fine. But when i DON'T have the pool sweep plugged in, that port flows a weak stream if water when the filters running. (My booster pump is plumbed in so the booster pump is constantly fed water even when its off, i guess to keep it moving?) I find that it robs enough flow (parasitic loss) that it causes my spillover from.my spa to barely spill over a third or so and the rest just runs downs the stone veneer instead. It amplifies the problem if i turn on the deck bubbler or any of the 3 small scuppers on the back wall. Is there a way to block that port when the pool sweep isn't in use so i can recover that flow so my water features flow right?

you could put a valve inline to shut of the flow to the cleaner but if you have the cleaner come on automatically that would be a bad thing, it would burn your booster pump up within minutes...

There should be a disc in the quick disconnect port pool side to optimize the Polaris speed. From your description it sounds like the disc is either missing or too large. I have 4 returns and a sheer decent and the the Polaris port does not affect them with the polaris in or out of the pool.

Do a google search for "polaris restrictor disk installation" you will see what I am referring to.

Agreed, your plumbing is set up correctly. Mine is the same, it flows a little water all the time. Not sure about the flow issue. That pump should be OK. Maybe the filter needs to be cleaned. What is the clean filter pressure? And current filter pressure? There is usually quite a bit of debris picked up during the first few weeks of pool start up. Add your filter info to your sig.

Clean filter pressure is 10, and it's at 10. With the spa running it goes to 20, and stays there. It was at 10psi after initial install and hasn't moved up any so I believe the elements are clean. I placed the blue and the red restrictor into the Polaris port (pool builder didn't give them to me and said they weren't needed because they've never used them in any of their pools.. ???) and it increased the water flow to the other features a tad, but it didn't resolve the issue. I had actually tried the blue and red disc prior to posting, I probably should have mentioned that, sorry.

In fact, the pool builder sales manager said that his spa doesn't sheet at his house so that's normal.

Yeah...

Without any discs in the port it runs at about 38 rpm, which is a tad higher than recommended, but definitely picks stuff up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.