Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard algae??

1. Back To Top    #1

Muncie, Indiana

Mustard algae??

So for the last few weeks I've noticed rust looking debris on the bottom of pool sporadically throughout. Not sure if it algae as the water is clear. Brushes up easily but in a few days it's back again. I back washed today and there was a lot of greenish water in the glass piece. We have had in unseasonable hot summer. And I noticed chlorine dropping significantly after a day or two of adding liquid chlorine. I've tried to find the amount I need to slam the pool but can't seem to find it on the forum. I'm just nervous to slam because I already have some wrinkles in liner and really don't want to add to it. My test results are:
    Fc: 13
    Cc: .5
    Tc: 13.5
    Calcium: 250
    Ta: 130

Any help?
    12k gallon inground pool with vinyl liner. Sandfilter, hayward 1.5 hp pool pump. Pool is approx 15 yrs.old. Liner is four years old. TF100 testing kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Mustard algae??

no need to worry about the SLAM, it will not hurt your liner

the page you're looking for is in my sig below also here Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart.. Your SLAM FC will be 24 for CYA of 60

I do not think it is mustard algae, you may have some metal in the pool or it may just be the beginning of an algae breakout.. could you post a pic so we can see what's going on

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Mustard algae??

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach