Completely lost and frustrated.

Jun 1, 2009
If you haven't figured out yet, I am a newbie. I have been trying to open my pool for the past couple weeks. I took a water sample to the local Pool store for analysis. They recommended 4 lbs of Alkalinity increaser. I added it in 3 intervals with 4-6 hours between each time. I then took another sample and guess what. The alkalinity was way too high so they suggested to use muratic acid to lower the alkalinity. I have since added about 2 qts over the past 3-4 days to no avail. I have also added and plan to use Pristine BluB since you only have to check every 2 wks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dlhirsch said:
I have also added and plan to use Pristine BluB since you only have to check every 2 wks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IF you like green hair and stained pools then by all means use pristine blue. It is copper sulfate.
It is NOT a sanitizer but merely an algaecide. You might want to read this:
alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
Please don't get suckered into this!
Even thought it has an EPA registration number it is NOT an epa registered sanitizer but merely a registered pesticide (algaecide).
There are only 3 EPA registerd sanitizers for pools and spas--chlorine, bromine, and biguanide. The best choice for an outdoor pool is chlorine.

Please don't get "Pool Stored"! STAY AWAY from Pristine Blue. :rant: There is NO pool care system that lets you walk away and things take care of themselves.

We can help you figure things out, and get you on your way to a trouble-free pool. BBB is literally 5 minutes a day, if that.

Please post a full set of test results, and you can get started!

Have you read Pool School?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.