Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Challenger Pump Clamp Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Challenger Pump Clamp Leak

The pool level was low and the culprit was a leak at the pump assembly clamp. Bought a couple of O rings for the housing and the hi-head. Too hot outside to replace it right now. When I do the reassembly, how tight should the clamp be tightened? I hope that solves the problem. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thaks.
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pentair Challenger Pump Clamp Leak

I have always just tightened them untill they stop leaking but these seem to have a torque of 35 inch pounds GRAINGER APPROVED 301 Stainless Steel Marine Grade Worm Gear Hose Clamp670040024 - Grainger Industrial Supply
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I have always just tightened them untill they stop leaking but these seem to have a torque of 35 inch pounds GRAINGER APPROVED 301 Stainless Steel Marine Grade Worm Gear Hose Clamp670040024 - Grainger Industrial Supply
    Sorry about me not being clear in my earlier post. The clamp around the pump housing is a band clamp and not a hose clamp. However, the pool store guy suggested like you did to turn the knob by hand as tight as I could. Thanks.
    Andy49
    12K, IG, Plaster, DE, Install 1992, Spa, Polaris Sport, Rainbow Chlorinator 320, Taylor 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

In the Industry

With new o ring hand tight will usually work, you can also lightly tap around clamp while tightening. If you can't get tight enough you can fit a wrench on knob

5. Back To Top    #5

Put everything together but the leak was still there. Found a crack in the front housing of the pump. Do I replace the whole pump or just the cracked housing?
    Andy49

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

In the Industry

That is a good question, they do make the housing and if your up for a little plumbing that would be the most economical way. But if this pump is from 1992 and the motor is old you may want to consider a more efficient pump that are available today