24 Ft AGP Circulation Issue

Jun 4, 2015
Round Rock, TX
I hard plumbed my intex ultra frame with a through wall skimmer and two returns (I have a second port for vac that I have not plumbed to the pump yet). The 1/2 hp 2100 GPH pump is not taking care of circulation well. I have a dead zone that collects dirt, grass and leaves that becomes an ignition point for algea if I don't get the bot in the pool every 2-3 days. SWG runtime in this Texas sun is 12h/per day right now, 8h for the shoulder months. Time to upgrade!

Before you ask, I have done the standard eyeballs angled down (4 o'clock), 3/4 pipe with dual 45 degree elbows, pointing one down at 45 degree and underwater by 12 inches, the other just down at 45 degrees.

I read the thread by jeffchap (link) with interest but the Pro is a 1hp single speed, no timer so I'll need to wire one up (or home automation socket?).

We are considering a sunk in abg in a year or two when this Intex fails, likely nearly the same size. I know at that time, I would want a two speed pump for power savings, skimming more often, etc.

Doing the $200 marginal upgrade with just a timer added to it would buy some time. A two speed would likely need my power wired in, timer system, and perhaps new SWG.

Thought I would ask for opinions and any threads that apply.

Thanks

If you're going to a permanent setup it would be better to get a complete setup with power and a shutoff/breaker at the pump but I also understand doing things a little at a time :)

here are a couple recommendations

pump: I love my 1hp pentair, on low 90% of the time and uses very little power and when you need extra power to vacuum or clean its there on high... and the price is great..

Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

this one is 3/4 HP 2 speed and plugs in :)
Amazon.com : Energy Efficient 2 Speed Pump for In-Ground Swimming Pool 0.75 HP-115V : Patio, Lawn Garden

pump: I love my 1hp pentair, on low 90% of the time and uses very little power and when you need extra power to vacuum or clean its there on high... and the price is great..

Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

I had looked at both of those, neither has an timer to switch speeds. As I look more at options, it would be nice to put the Aquacritter in the pool plugged into a port while I'm not in town and have the pump run on low for a set time period daily for SWG generation, then switch to high for an hour and get the bot zipping around to cover the bottom.

Vois La! Full TFP! Pool Zen!

Possible with less than four significant digits on the pricetag? :)

Thanks

nice combo, a little big at 1.5 hp but a 2 speed will work great :)

I like the idea of being able to run everything at once if needed. If I get ambitious, maybe an Internet of Things set up to control the speed, turn on fountains, pump through a solar collector for heating Oct/April (night for cooling in the summer?), maybe even misters off the pump! LOL

Nah, I'll likely just float around and have a margarita. :snorkle::cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.