Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming ONLY causes loss of water in Secondary filter- filter, pump, hose are new

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming ONLY causes loss of water in Secondary filter- filter, pump, hose are new

We have a Doughboy 21 ft round above ground pool. I bought the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for above ground pools, 2800GPHPump Flow Rate and the first two times I vacuumed it worked just fine but then I started losing water in the secondary filter basket ONLY when vacuuming after a few seconds. I contacted local pool companies and they said was likely a air leak in hose cause by pinhole so bought a new hose-Nope-still does it. IF I take the hose out of the hole connecting under the skimmer basket but hold the flap down to let water continue to flow with the skimmer lid down for vacuum function-the secondary basket does not lose water so it has to somehow be related to the hose and the water flow rate but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.
    Above Ground Pool, 21 foot by 48", Doughboy. Using a, INtex Krsytal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 29800 GPH Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Vacuuming ONLY causes loss of water in Secondary filter- filter, pump, hose are n

Welcome to TFP

Could you show a picture, I am not sure what you mean by secondary filter..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Vacuuming ONLY causes loss of water in Secondary filter- filter, pump, hose are n

Are you completely filling the hose with water (and keeping it that way) before you attach it? I have the same pump/filter. If there is any air in the hose it will do that.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Are you completely filling the hose with water (and keeping it that way) before you attach it? I have the same pump/filter. If there is any air in the hose it will do that.
    Yes, I take the hose over the the return and let it push water through the hose to get rid of all the air in the hose and then keep the hose under the water so other then a hole in the hose..no way I see to get air in it and I bought a new vacuum hose just in case.
    Above Ground Pool, 21 foot by 48", Doughboy. Using a, INtex Krsytal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 29800 GPH Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

Could you show a picture, I am not sure what you mean by secondary filter..
    The small filter basket with the clear lid.

6. Back To Top    #6

What you are calling the secondary filter is the pump pot strainer. Its purpose is to catch large debris and prevent it from getting caught in the impeller. If the pump pot strainer is collecting air when you vacuum and the hose is completely under water, then it is sucking air through the skimmer. How high is the water level in the skimmer? It should be between 1/2 and 2/3 the way up the skimmer opening. Do you see a swirl of water in the skimmer basket while you vacuum? That indicates a low water level and the vortex is pulling air into your pump.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    What you are calling the secondary filter is the pump pot strainer. Its purpose is to catch large debris and prevent it from getting caught in the impeller. If the pump pot strainer is collecting air when you vacuum and the hose is completely under water, then it is sucking air through the skimmer. How high is the water level in the skimmer? It should be between 1/2 and 2/3 the way up the skimmer opening. Do you see a swirl of water in the skimmer basket while you vacuum? That indicates a low water level and the vortex is pulling air into your pump.
    Yep-figured it out--figured air had to be getting in somewhere around the through wall skimmer so started looking closely at things and noticed a screw was missing where the through wall skimmer attaches to the wall and it was creating just enough of an air leak to cause the problem! $75 later and it is a penny solution!