Noob CYA question

Sep 5, 2015
Smithtown, NY
Newbie pool chemist here. I bought the TF100 kit and obtained the following readings:

FC - 8.5
CC - 1.5
TC - 10
TA - 130
CYA - 30
PH - 7.8

I'm currently battling a pesky green algae problem that appears every few days or so, especially if I skip brushing for a few days. I'm concerned because I'm going away for 7 days and don't want to come back to a nightmare.

According to the pool calculator, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, when I plug in a current CYA level of 30 and a target of 50 I'm presented with a recommended dosage of 4lbs of stablizer. Does this seem correct? I don't want to over do it and then have to drain water. I know my TA is high too and taking measures to bring that down.
Thanks.

That sounds about right to me... BUT since you seem to be battling an algae outbreak... you might want to consider doing a SLAM before you raise your CYA, and knock it out!... then you can raise your CYA to a level that will support your pool. (The lower CYA will mean less chlorine needed for a SLAM)

Will there be anyone there that can do the SLAM for you while you are away?

That sounds about right to me... BUT since you seem to be battling an algae outbreak... you might want to consider doing a SLAM before you raise your CYA, and knock it out!... then you can raise your CYA to a level that will support your pool. (The lower CYA will mean less chlorine needed for a SLAM)

Will there be anyone there that can do the SLAM for you while you are away?
Negative. House will be empty. A bit of a conundrum here. I guess I'll SLAM the best I can over the 24 hours and raise CYA after I get back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Negative. House will be empty. A bit of a conundrum here. I guess I'll SLAM the best I can over the 24 hours and raise CYA after I get back.

Do yourself a favor and do not raise your CYA until you successfully complete a SLAM when you return. There is visible algae in the pool, and it will not be eradicated in 24 hours.

Dom

chances are that you are going to have to SLAM now... then have to do it again when you get back. You might want to raise your levels to Mustard Algae shock levels before you leave. (just a thought)
don't raise your CYA levels until your SLAM is complete or you will need MORE chlorine/bleach.
Once you get the SLAM done, and have killed everything that is growing in your water, you can get your CYA level up, and adjust your chlorine levels properly.

chances are that you are going to have to SLAM now... then have to do it again when you get back. You might want to raise your levels to Mustard Algae shock levels before you leave. (just a thought)
don't raise your CYA levels until your SLAM is complete or you will need MORE chlorine/bleach.
Once you get the SLAM done, and have killed everything that is growing in your water, you can get your CYA level up, and adjust your chlorine levels properly.
How long does the slam typically take to complete?

I have heard of it taking as little as 2 days... and as much as 3 weeks...
Mine took about 2 weeks, but I opened to a swamp, and did the switch to the TFP method as soon as I opened.
I have not looked back since, and have NOT had to do another SLAM since switching.

I have heard of it taking as little as 2 days... and as much as 3 weeks...
Mine took about 2 weeks, but I opened to a swamp, and did the switch to the TFP method as soon as I opened.
I have not looked back since, and have NOT had to do another SLAM since switching.
Okay I guess I have some reading up to do. I'm not 100% up to speed with slamming or the tfp method yet. Thanks for the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.