Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob CYA question

Newbie pool chemist here. I bought the TF100 kit and obtained the following readings:

FC - 8.5
    CC - 1.5
    TC - 10
    TA - 130
    CYA - 30
    PH - 7.8

I'm currently battling a pesky green algae problem that appears every few days or so, especially if I skip brushing for a few days. I'm concerned because I'm going away for 7 days and don't want to come back to a nightmare.

According to the pool calculator, http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, when I plug in a current CYA level of 30 and a target of 50 I'm presented with a recommended dosage of 4lbs of stablizer. Does this seem correct? I don't want to over do it and then have to drain water. I know my TA is high too and taking measures to bring that down.
    Thanks.
    Constructed November 2015, concrete walls, 29,000 gallon capactiy, vinyl liner, Max-Flo VS filter pump, Hayward DE4820 Filter, Aquarite Salt Water Generator, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob CYA question

That sounds about right to me... BUT since you seem to be battling an algae outbreak... you might want to consider doing a SLAM before you raise your CYA, and knock it out!... then you can raise your CYA to a level that will support your pool. (The lower CYA will mean less chlorine needed for a SLAM)

Will there be anyone there that can do the SLAM for you while you are away?
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, that is correct. Before you increase CYA you need to kill the algae following this process, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by RonsPlc View Post
    That sounds about right to me... BUT since you seem to be battling an algae outbreak... you might want to consider doing a SLAM before you raise your CYA, and knock it out!... then you can raise your CYA to a level that will support your pool. (The lower CYA will mean less chlorine needed for a SLAM)

Will there be anyone there that can do the SLAM for you while you are away?
    Negative. House will be empty. A bit of a conundrum here. I guess I'll SLAM the best I can over the 24 hours and raise CYA after I get back.

Constructed November 2015, concrete walls, 29,000 gallon capactiy, vinyl liner, Max-Flo VS filter pump, Hayward DE4820 Filter, Aquarite Salt Water Generator, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
    Negative. House will be empty. A bit of a conundrum here. I guess I'll SLAM the best I can over the 24 hours and raise CYA after I get back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Do yourself a favor and do not raise your CYA until you successfully complete a SLAM when you return. There is visible algae in the pool, and it will not be eradicated in 24 hours.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

chances are that you are going to have to SLAM now... then have to do it again when you get back. You might want to raise your levels to Mustard Algae shock levels before you leave. (just a thought)
    don't raise your CYA levels until your SLAM is complete or you will need MORE chlorine/bleach.
    Once you get the SLAM done, and have killed everything that is growing in your water, you can get your CYA level up, and adjust your chlorine levels properly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and do not raise your CYA until you successfully complete a SLAM when you return. There is visible algae in the pool, and it will not be eradicated in 24 hours.

Dom
    Will do thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

chances are that you are going to have to SLAM now... then have to do it again when you get back. You might want to raise your levels to Mustard Algae shock levels before you leave. (just a thought)
    don't raise your CYA levels until your SLAM is complete or you will need MORE chlorine/bleach.
    Once you get the SLAM done, and have killed everything that is growing in your water, you can get your CYA level up, and adjust your chlorine levels properly.
    How long does the slam typically take to complete?

9. Back To Top    #9

I have heard of it taking as little as 2 days... and as much as 3 weeks...
    Mine took about 2 weeks, but I opened to a swamp, and did the switch to the TFP method as soon as I opened.
    I have not looked back since, and have NOT had to do another SLAM since switching.

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine took about 2 weeks, but I opened to a swamp, and did the switch to the TFP method as soon as I opened.
    I have not looked back since, and have NOT had to do another SLAM since switching.
    Okay I guess I have some reading up to do. I'm not 100% up to speed with slamming or the tfp method yet. Thanks for the feedback.

11. Back To Top    #11

How do you know when the SLAM is complete?

12. Back To Top    #12

Nevermind, I found the slam link.