Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combination pool heater/chiller

1. Back To Top    #1

Miami, FL

Combination pool heater/chiller

I live in Miami, and the average temperature in my pool during the months of July and August is about 92 degrees, which is much warmer than I like. I would like it be around 84 or 85 so that it feels cooler and more refreshing when you go for a swim.

I'm looking at getting a pool chiller such as the AquaCal Icebreaker model. I still need the heat pump component to heat the Jacuzzi.

My question, for those who have experience with pool chillers, is how long it would take to cool the water temperature? For a 15,000 gallon pool how long would it take the unit to cool the water from 92 to 85 degrees?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Combination pool heater/chiller

A dual heat pump will keep the temp at whatever you set it at

It may take a day to get it down.. a heat pump is designed to stay on and keep a set temp range... raypac seems to have better rating from people on TFP that work on heat pumps

Raypak Standard 110K BTU Heat Pump W/ Chiller - 013309 -
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Combination pool heater/chiller

Solar panels and heat pumps can both be used to warm your pool and cool your pool. If you have a south or west facing roof you are probably a great candidate for solar panels. Running solar panels at night will cool your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach