Can't raise pH and TA

TFL

Aug 7, 2016
Raleigh/NC
Hi all - I hope you guys can help me to understand the following:

Nothing wrong with my pool, aside when I check pH and TA, they seem to be way too low.

pH
I'm using a HDX testkit and it shows a very bright yellow, way below 6.8. Raising it with sodium carbonate did not work at all. No change, even after using twice the required amount. The pH does not bounce, it is stable.

TA
So I had a look at TA. After adding the chemicals to the testkit, I get a bright yellow, so I assumed this means no alkalinity, as that's the final color during the TA test. I tried to raise it using sodium bicarbonate. But after adding 5 pounds on one weekend and 7 on the next - still the same result. I switched the pump off for 4-5 hours after adding it.

I verified my test results with a different brand test kit from a colleague.
I am using Max Blue tablets for chlorination. They come with a water softener and stabilizer.

Regards, Mike

Welcome to TFP!

The pucks have crashed your TA and PH. Your pH could be as low as 4 or 5. Enter all your test results in PoolMath, link above. Enter 6.8 for Now and 7.5 for Target. Add the recommended amount of Borax or soda ash as shown here. Pump running, brush and retest in 15 minutes. Repeat as many times as needed until the PH shows up on the test.

Hi pooldv

Thanks for the quick answer. Given the amount of new posts here every day, that's not to be expected. Much appreciated.

You were right, I just needed to continue with soda ash. I did not expect that it needs close to 40 pounds of it, it just seemed too much. My pH is now at 7.2 but TA raised to 150 as well, so I will aerate instead of adding more soda ash.

Regards, Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.