Hello! I am new here and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on these forums and web pages.
Some information about my setup.
Inground pool, 24000 gallons.
Solar cover on whenever the pool is not in use, sometimes i leave it off during hot days.
Pool is heated, stays around 86 degrees.
I use a New Water cycler pack system as well as algecide cartridges.
Water is crystal clear and all my levels seem good except my CYA.
To test my pool I use 2 methods
1. Amazon.com : AquaChek 551236 7-Way 100 Count Pool Water Test Strips : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
I found these strips are extremely accurate when I test against my secondary method.
2. Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
My readings as of today are
Temp: 86 deg.
CYA: ~130 (verified with both strips and Taylor)
So everything I've read states my CYA is too high and other than some bacteria option to lower it, that didn't seem to get good reviews. My only option is removing and replacing water.
My questions are the following
1. Do I need to lower my CYA w/ my other readings?
2. Are my other readings while in the proper range, valid if my CYA is too high?
3. Do I need to anything at all considering the pool clarity?
4. Can people swim in the pool at my current levels safely?
I'm still learning as I go here so any advice would be appreciated here.
I am also interested in hearing opinions about replacing my cycler packs with liquid bleach or some alternative to avoid CYA issues. But i'll do another post for that.