How long and when to run pump

Jul 29, 2016
tulsa,oklahoma
I currently only have the skimmer as a water pickup point. (i.e., no main drain. The drain line developed a leak and we plugged it and I have never bothered finding the leak. For all practical purposes, we seem to be able to operate ok with it.)

In that regard, pool builder guy said we need to run our pump 24 hours a day. Additionally, we have to replace the pump motor about every three years. Is that about normal? I would assume if we didnt run the pump 24/7 we would get longer life out of motor. (AO Smith Centuy Centurion CAT B2848 SF 1.65 VOLTS 230/115 AMPS SF 8.0/16.0

Assuming we dont really need to run it 24/7, what is best practice?

Thanks

Way back in the spring I read a research article linked to from an experienced poster on here (sorry, can't remember who it was). The research IIRC was from University of Florida and to summarise they said that the filter runtime can be as low as ?2 hours? since the debris will either be taken through the skimmer or debris will sink to the bottom of the pool and be caught in the polaris cleaner. Their advice was to start with a 2 hour runtime and increase as necessary to maintain water clarity. My 26K gallon pool has been running for only 4 hours a day all summer and it is crystal clear. I check the chlorine/pH levels daily and add bleach/MA as needed. Crossed fingers but I've had no problems at all. I was even able to leave my college age kids in charge of it for 2 weeks while I went on vacation. Thoughts?

I was running mine 3 hours a day then reduced it to 2. no difference at all clarity wise, so I run it 2 hours daily now.

During the week it's covered with a bubble cover and I remove it for a few hours to swim if it's nice outside.

On weekends I run the pump much longer, preferring to keep the surface clear of debris when I have guests
over or for heating the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.