Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long and when to run pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How long and when to run pump

I currently only have the skimmer as a water pickup point. (i.e., no main drain. The drain line developed a leak and we plugged it and I have never bothered finding the leak. For all practical purposes, we seem to be able to operate ok with it.)

In that regard, pool builder guy said we need to run our pump 24 hours a day. Additionally, we have to replace the pump motor about every three years. Is that about normal? I would assume if we didnt run the pump 24/7 we would get longer life out of motor. (AO Smith Centuy Centurion CAT B2848 SF 1.65 VOLTS 230/115 AMPS SF 8.0/16.0

Assuming we dont really need to run it 24/7, what is best practice?

Thanks
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long and when to run pump

6-8 hours is normally sufficient.

More here, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    6-8 hours is normally sufficient.

More here, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time
    Doh! sorry I missed that section of the website.

Thanks
    32,000 gallon IG plaster (redone in 2003)
    Filter: Triton II sand
    Pump: Pentair Challenger 1 HP
    Test Kit: Taylor 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Way back in the spring I read a research article linked to from an experienced poster on here (sorry, can't remember who it was). The research IIRC was from University of Florida and to summarise they said that the filter runtime can be as low as ?2 hours? since the debris will either be taken through the skimmer or debris will sink to the bottom of the pool and be caught in the polaris cleaner. Their advice was to start with a 2 hour runtime and increase as necessary to maintain water clarity. My 26K gallon pool has been running for only 4 hours a day all summer and it is crystal clear. I check the chlorine/pH levels daily and add bleach/MA as needed. Crossed fingers but I've had no problems at all. I was even able to leave my college age kids in charge of it for 2 weeks while I went on vacation. Thoughts?
    26,390 gallons IG, Centex plaster, Hayward DE 4820 filter, Century Centurion B2859 pool pump motor.
    Booster pump for polaris 280
    Spa
    Built 1997

5. Back To Top    #5

I was running mine 3 hours a day then reduced it to 2. no difference at all clarity wise, so I run it 2 hours daily now.

During the week it's covered with a bubble cover and I remove it for a few hours to swim if it's nice outside.

On weekends I run the pump much longer, preferring to keep the surface clear of debris when I have guests
    over or for heating the water.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.