Small leak in piping around pump/ How to fix???????????

Jul 22, 2016
San Francisco
20160806_191833 - Copy.jpg20160806_191757 - Copy.jpgSmall leak in piping around pump:20160723_074801 - Copy.jpg
I have a small leak at where the PVC pipe joins my pump housing. In the photo, I marked the exact spot by leaving a toothpick there (see pic 1). Pic 2 is a close up and pic 3 is my system. The size of the leak is about 2 to 3 drops after an 8 hour run with the pump so it’s by no means significant. Given the small leak, can I just dab some silicone caulk around the the joint. If so will it damage the pump housing? I don’t care about the PVC as if it were ever redone it would be tossed and replaced. If I do nothing, how soon will it be before the leak gets significant? What caused it? Thanks in advance.Small leak in piping around pump
I have a small leak at where the PVC pipe joins my pump housing. In the photo, I marked the exact spot by leaving a toothpick there. The size of the leak is about 2 to 3 drops after an 8 hour run with the pump so it’s by no means significant. Given the small leak, can I just dab some silicone caulk around the the joint. If so will it damage the pump housing? I don’t care about the PVC as if it were ever redone it would be tossed and replaced. If I do nothing, how soon will it be before the leak gets significant? What caused it? Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what sealant was used but that doesn't look like pipe dope. I think incorrect sealant caused it.

2-3 drops over an 8-hour period is not even worth considering.

Silicone won't work....nor will anything else from the outside. There is no reason to fix it but if you still feel the need, that joint needs to be remade correctly.

You mean you took it apart and redid it? I guess I am being lazy and looking for an external fix? Or you are telling me you did an external fix?

- - - Updated - - -

I have no idea what sealant was used but that doesn't look like pipe dope. I think incorrect sealant caused it.

2-3 drops over an 8-hour period is not even worth considering.

Silicone won't work....nor will anything else from the outside. There is no reason to fix it but if you still feel the need, that joint needs to be remade correctly.

Hi yes, I don't know what that brownish stuff is. I'm guessing it was once clear and the sun got to it. Its been used at various parts. The pipes are very old predating my ownership which has been about 5 years. However, I just saw the leak a day ago. I was hoping to apply more of whatever was used in the past to stop the minute leak for fear of it growing bigger? Will it?

You mean you took it apart and redid it? I guess I am being lazy and looking for an external fix? Or you are telling me you did an external fix?

Nothing you put on the outside will fix the leak. You need to take it apart to fix it. But, as duraleigh said, it isn't enough of a leak to worry about. And maybe you'll get lucky and something will plug the hole from the inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.