The plaster team finished plastering Monday afternoon and even with the help of 6 neighbors, it took 3 1/2 days to fill. After running the pumps and filters for 24 hours, we took a sample of the water in and the results were:
Total Chlorine .2
Free Chlorine 0
Total Alkalinity 120
Calcium Hardness 125
We were warned by the Hydrazzo rep not to hyperchlorinate the pool (we aren't supposed to use the salt system or the heaters for 28 days) or it could bleach the finish on the plaster, so at the direction of our pool store guy we added 6 pounds of shock yesterday at 6 pm yesterday (without the concern about the Hydrazzo, he would have recommended 12 pounds) and took a sample of water to the pool store today and the results were:
Total Chlorine 0
Free Chlorine 0
Total Alkalinity 110
Calcium Hardness 75
He said to put 3 pounds of the powdered chlorine in each of two 5 gallon buckets and let it dissolve for 20 minutes, pour what is dissolved into a skimmer, then wait 20 more minutes and again pour what is dissolved into the pool. He said to test it every 12 hours and if the free chlorine is 1 or below, to repeat this.
He said it could take a week or even two to get the pool to hold the chlorine. I have purchased the new TFP test kit, but thought I should rely on the testing of someone at the pool store at the beginning which is so critical to protect the plaster.
1. Our children and grandchildren have arrived and the extended family is due on Wednesday for a family reunion - 41 people (the pool was supposed to be completed by May 1). The pool guy said it could take one to two weeks or more to get the pool to "hold" the chlorine. The PB said no problem with swimming immediately, but the pool store guy said absolutely not. How dangerous is it to swim before the proper chlorine level has been reached?2. Does anyone have any experience with Hydrazzo and have a sense if there is anything else we could be doing to hurry up the chlorination without compromising the plaster finish?
3. Three of the skimmers are barely drawing and I cannot see water through the glass on one of the pumps. I can't reach the person who connected the equipment and I am concerned that I should turn off the pump because I have heard I can ruin it if it "runs dry." Any advice?