Which pool cleaner do you own?

Jul 29, 2016
Mamou, Louisiana
We have owned suction cleaners in the past (KK classic and Great white). KK wore the ink off of the liner at it's usual hangout under the pool ladder and the Great white was afraid of the 6 foot deep end, he liked hanging out by the steps in the shallow end. I had given up on the automatic cleaners and just hand vacuumed for the past 4 years. We are changing our liner in the next few days and thought that, while I'm spending a little money, I may as well spend a little more and try another automatic pool cleaner. The dilemma is...which one to go with? I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of suction type...Hayward Pool Vac Ultra XL or Pentair Warrior, then my wife stated she was interested in the robots. Could you all help us out by letting us know what type (suction, pressure, robotic) and make/model you have and how long you have had it? I would also like to know what you like about it, what you don't like about it (c'mon, there's gotta be at least one thing that bugs you), and any costs you have incurred for routine maintenance.

I have a Maytronics dolphin M3 supreme robot. Supposedly it is too small for my pool, but it works well. It doesn't do the waterline all the way around the pool, but I like to brush my sides manually so I am good with that. I love that it does the job with so little effort on my part.

The thing I don't like about it is that I have to store it out of the sun to increase its lifespan. That means coiling the wire-thingy and carrying it all into the garage. My vacuum has the same basic issues, as the hose doesn't like the sun either. So that's a wash except that I use my robot a lot more than my vacuum.

I have a suction size Pentair Sand Shark. I had the choice when building to take a $300 credit or get the vacuum. I wish I took the credit. $300 was about half of a robot that would work great for my small pool inside a screen enclosure.

The Sand Shark does ok but I don't like to leave it in and don't really need to. The setup, planned to adjust plumming, higher pump speed need and the length of time it requires to hope that it covers the pool leaves much to be desired.

This is my first season with the Hayward tigershark QC. So far it has performed to my expectations. It's easy. Plug it up and put it in. Take it out. Clean filters and it's ready for next time. If your OCD, don't watch it cause it will drive you crazy..?. One minute it's in the deep end, next it's trying to climb steps, then back to the deep end. It tries to climb too high sometimes so I installed the restrictor plate which it came with. My gripes are it has a hard time climbing steps. Every once in a while it might leave dirt in the liner seam at one particular spot. If it climbs the wall near a corner, it will not go through the corner, ( understandable). If you watch it, you might think it hangs out in one spot too much, but just wait and when it's done, the pool is vacuumed. All that said, I would purchase again. I use the 4 hour setting more than 2 hour. I usually know when we are going to swim and just put it in if needed a few hours before. I bought it at poolzoom.com for around 800.00.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a Maytronics dolphin M3 supreme robot. Supposedly it is too small for my pool, but it works well. It doesn't do the waterline all the way around the pool, but I like to brush my sides manually so I am good with that. I love that it does the job with so little effort on my part.

The thing I don't like about it is that I have to store it out of the sun to increase its lifespan. That means coiling the wire-thingy and carrying it all into the garage. My vacuum has the same basic issues, as the hose doesn't like the sun either. So that's a wash except that I use my robot a lot more than my vacuum.
I went to Sam's and bought a deck box for our pool stuff. I store it in there after I clean the filters and let them dry for a bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Dolphin s300i...all in all I love it. Pros, cleans entire pool in 2.5 hrs (unless we've had a storm). Has a top loading basket that's easy to empty instead of a bag, more cleaning options with Bluetooth AP which I do use at times. I can chose Ultra clean, bottom only, water line only, etc. comes with caddy.

Cons...doesn't clean entire water line but I clean that myself when in pool so non issue, I have a lot of trees so when there's leaves in the pool it may not get them all but stirs them up instead but still gets 95% of them, when removing from pool and full of water it can be quite heavy for a girl (me) but I'd rather struggle with it than manual vac.

All in all it's worth every penny I paid for it (($1300)

I’m going on my 3rd season with an Aquabot Rapids 4wd & I could not be happier!

We have many trees around the pool and get Pine needles as well as green pinecone leaves that sink right to the bottom of the pool.

This year I’m dealing with neck & Rotator Cuff issues and I’ve been abusing the Bot every day! It’s like the everyready bunny and gets all the stuff I should be vaccuming & scooping up but can’t.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Defgufman, how long have you owned it and what is the avg annual cost of maintain it? Please read my post in the Pumping Station- "Help...adding dedicated pool cleaner line to existing IG pool". I have been considering a Polaris 280 for some time now but have no dedicated line. Does yours have a dedicated through wall fitting or do you have an over-the-deck connection?

Dolphin Primal X3. Love it! It does a great job on pool, and I take it out, clean the filters and put it away until the next time. I think this one is one of the lower priced Dolphin products, but it does an amazing job for me.

Thanks Defgufman, how long have you owned it and what is the avg annual cost of maintain it? Please read my post in the Pumping Station- "Help...adding dedicated pool cleaner line to existing IG pool". I have been considering a Polaris 280 for some time now but have no dedicated line. Does yours have a dedicated through wall fitting or do you have an over-the-deck connection?

I'm not sure what the total cost annually is... I've had the 280 for 3 years. I have it on a timer that runs for an hour at night and 2 hours in the fall when leaves get crazy. It does have a dedicated line that was installed with the pool. So far the only repair costs have been for the sweeper tail sponge.

Thanks EVChargeGuy, I guess my main concern with robots is that I have no idea of the maintenance costs. With suction or pressure side cleaners I can repair on my own, where as electronics.....uh, not.

The majority of robots come with 2 or 3 year warranties. Beyond that, parts like treads and brushes are available and not very expensive (at least for current generations). I have a Dolphin that's at least 15 years old and still has its original parts -- the power supply, on the other hand, was awful, as was the case with the older-style power supplies. I can't vouch for the lifespan of the current power supplies as I'm in my first 4 months of ownership, but they seem to have made improvements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.