Brushing new plaster

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Can anyone tell me if it is bad to not be able to brush our new plaster every day? I have brushed most days since the pool was filled with water, but have not been able to every single day. Thoughts?

Plaster was done 2 weeks ago this past Wednesday (for the 2nd time), acid wash and fill was performed the following day. We have Radiant Fusion from Finest a Finishes/Gemstone. It is a pebble finish with glass beads and abalone shells.
I still saw some dust before they graded the yard on Tuesday and Wednesday. After that all I can see is the dirt that blew in the pool. I did vacuum quite a bit up on Wednesday night. I didn't get to brush on Thursday. Hubby has been brushing Fri, Sat, Sun while I work but he's under doctor's orders this weekend- no physical activity and to stay inside. I can't fit in brushing myself on the weekend- I leave too early and return home too late. I'm doing good to get my pH and Cl checked on the weekend.

Brushing doesn't really do a whole lot for a pebble finish. Most of that was taken care of for you with the acid and pressure wash.

I'd still recommend brushing as often as you can but it's nowhere near as critical as with plain plaster finishes or those that don't get acid washed.

definitely try to keep up with the pH, seems like when plaster is new it soaks up quite a bit of acid the first few weeks. if I remember right, I was having to add like 30 ounces of MA every 2-3days to keep the pH in balance.

+1 Maintaining pH as many times per day as needed is the number 1 most important thing with new plaster.

Maintaining CSI in a new plaster pool will add a decade or more to the life of your plaster, 25+ years. Folks who do not manage their CSI often have to replaster in as little as 5 years. In bad cases I have seen it happen in 3 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
definitely try to keep up with the pH, seems like when plaster is new it soaks up quite a bit of acid the first few weeks. if I remember right, I was having to add like 30 ounces of MA every 2-3days to keep the pH in balance.

I just had regular plaster done about 5 months ago, and up until recently I had to add acid daily to maintain my pH. I'm sure every pools chemistry is a bit different, but I would keep a close eye on the pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.