Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brushing new plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Brushing new plaster

Can anyone tell me if it is bad to not be able to brush our new plaster every day? I have brushed most days since the pool was filled with water, but have not been able to every single day. Thoughts?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brushing new plaster

How much dust is still kicking up when you brush? Did they acid wash the day after plaster? Is it a pebble finish?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Plaster was done 2 weeks ago this past Wednesday (for the 2nd time), acid wash and fill was performed the following day. We have Radiant Fusion from Finest a Finishes/Gemstone. It is a pebble finish with glass beads and abalone shells.
    I still saw some dust before they graded the yard on Tuesday and Wednesday. After that all I can see is the dirt that blew in the pool. I did vacuum quite a bit up on Wednesday night. I didn't get to brush on Thursday. Hubby has been brushing Fri, Sat, Sun while I work but he's under doctor's orders this weekend- no physical activity and to stay inside. I can't fit in brushing myself on the weekend- I leave too early and return home too late. I'm doing good to get my pH and Cl checked on the weekend.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, you'll be fine. You are far enough along that a few days won't hurt.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Whew! Thank you! Good to know!
    Denise-TFP Guide

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Brushing doesn't really do a whole lot for a pebble finish. Most of that was taken care of for you with the acid and pressure wash.

I'd still recommend brushing as often as you can but it's nowhere near as critical as with plain plaster finishes or those that don't get acid washed.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Thanks, Brian! You and pooldv have quite relieved my anxious mind!
    Denise-TFP Guide

8. Back To Top    #8

definitely try to keep up with the pH, seems like when plaster is new it soaks up quite a bit of acid the first few weeks. if I remember right, I was having to add like 30 ounces of MA every 2-3days to keep the pH in balance.
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 Maintaining pH as many times per day as needed is the number 1 most important thing with new plaster.

Maintaining CSI in a new plaster pool will add a decade or more to the life of your plaster, 25+ years. Folks who do not manage their CSI often have to replaster in as little as 5 years. In bad cases I have seen it happen in 3 years.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

This was a great question and helped me too! We haven't been able to brush everyday either and I was feeling very anxious. Thanks Ya'll! ❤️

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ap2002 View Post
    definitely try to keep up with the pH, seems like when plaster is new it soaks up quite a bit of acid the first few weeks. if I remember right, I was having to add like 30 ounces of MA every 2-3days to keep the pH in balance.
    I just had regular plaster done about 5 months ago, and up until recently I had to add acid daily to maintain my pH. I'm sure every pools chemistry is a bit different, but I would keep a close eye on the pH.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma