Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bugs in my pool. Please help D=

1. Back To Top    #1

Bugs in my pool. Please help D=

My pool, the 18 ft x 48 in Summer Waves AG pool has been sitting in my backyard with murky light and dark green water for about 2 weeks or so. I was finally able to get my sand filter, the Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2450 GPH System Flow Rate, up and running today. I haven't been able to get a testing kit but I purchased pool shock and chlorine tablets from walmart and put that into the water. After waiting 8 hours (as the instructions said) the water was still pale green and cloudy so I added another bottle of shock. My pool is now blue but cloudy and between my sand filter and I we have removed most of the tad poles, leaves and other debris. However, there are some very lively bugs swimming around my pool. I tried to scoop them out but they are fast and when I do catch them they have a habit of jumping off the skimmer and right back into the pool. There are two main kinds. 1 has two little wing/leg looking things sticking out behind it and the other kind of looks like a beetle. Both swim to quickly to be caught in the intake for my filter. Is there anything I can do to kill these unwanted pool guests?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bugs in my pool. Please help D=

Do you have a recommended testkit? Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    That should be your first priority.

You need to get the pool swimmable for humans. Then worry about bugs if any survive afterwards.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have a test kit yet. Getting the sand filter attached has sapped all my extra funds. I will get it soon though. I was just wondering if it was a seperate process to kill them before the pool is swimmable.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Hi

The problem isn't really the bugs. It's most likely algae in your pool. The answer to that is to go through the SLAM process. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You might want to start here. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The link to reccomended test kits was already provided. Without a good test kit, it is hard for us to guide you as knowing your chemical levels accurately is imperative to what we teach for pool care.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 to ordering a TF-100 from TFTestkits.net.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

this is how I get rid of bugs in my agp Attachment 53117it just floats around all the time gathering up crud and bugs!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't bother with chlorine tablets or powdered shock. They add extra things you don't need, or want, in your water. Stick with plain ol' chlorine. You need to measure the chlorine level somehow. Does a neighbor have a test kit you could borrow?

Once you've got your test kit and some chlorine, follow the instructions at Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain as Aimee suggests.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

8. Back To Top    #8

and the two types of bugs you are describing seem to be an issue in most pools I have been in! if anyone knows how to get rid of them that would be amazing!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ta2dwonderwoman View Post
    this is how I get rid of bugs in my agp Attachment 53117it just floats around all the time gathering up crud and bugs!
    Wait a minute there - how's this work now?!?
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

10. Back To Top    #10

The bugs you describe are air breathing and won't die from treating the water. They were attracted by the food (algae etc.) in the pool. Some of the water beetles are vegetarian, but some are carnivorous and are capable of delivering a sting similar to a bee sting. They are capable of flight which is how they get in the pool in the first place. I chase mine down with a net and squash them outside the pool so they don't return.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

11. Back To Top    #11

+1 on getting the water clean and safe for people. I have a thru the wall skimmer in my pool. We get a lot of those "flying ants" in ours, so before we get in, we run the pump/filter for like 5-10 minutes and they all get sucked into the filter. Most if them get stuck in the screen right before the impellor. I clean it out about once a week.
    Good luck and do yourself a favor and get a good test kit. Learn how to keep your pool safe and clean. It's very rewarding to do it yourself.
    Ant
    16'x48" Summer Escapes Pro-Series, AG, Ultra-Frame, Intex CS15110 Sand filter/SWG, 5061 GAL, TF-100 Test Kit w/ K-1766 Salt Test and Speedstir.
    Pool School, ABC's of Water Chemistry, CYA/Chlorine Chart, Water Balance for SWG's, Pool Math.

12. Back To Top    #12

Love this forum!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amail View Post
    Wait a minute there - how's this work now?!?
    I just put an airtight container under the corner of a flat net and use a hair band to keep it in place I just let it float around and most of the bugs in my pool and a whole lot of other crud ends up on it without me having to do anything. When I get in the pool first thing everyday I clear it and send it back to floating again

13. Back To Top    #13

that is a very neat idea. i will have to give that one a try. never thought of that. what type of "container" do you have under yours?
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

14. Back To Top    #14

It's a very simple little airtight and waterproof container that I got in the fishing department at my local Walmart. Honestly just about anything that won't fill up with water and sink will do the trick. I try to keep mine up under the corner so that it floats a bit of an angle because it seems to gather up more creatures that way. Apparently they think it's some kind of Island!

This is mine...
    Attachment 53173